RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
As the world has begun to take advantage of the new features of Windows 10, many users report the problem of getting the error code 0x8007007B when activating Windows. Even if you try to activate it via the update and security option, you will get the same 0x8007007B error.
The error message looks like this:
“The windows could not be activated. The KMS (Key Management Services) host could not be placed in the Domain Name System (DNS), please let your system administrator check if a KMS has been properly published in the DNS. Error code: 0x8007232b. Error description: The DNS name does not exist.”
An error 0x8007007B may occur if you are working with volume licensed support to install Windows 7, 8 and 10, and it also appears when you install Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and 2012. Generally, the error code 0x8007007B is accompanied by other values such as 0x8007232b. This describes an error in the activation codes. In particular, the first error code refers to an incorrect file name or syntax, which can interfere with installation and activation.
Even if you could try to activate it via the update and security option, you will get exactly this error 0x8007007B. These errors do not allow the computer system to identify the new operating system.
To solve this problem, use one or more of the following methods, depending on your situation.
Configure a KMS host server for the clients you want to activate against
KMS activation requires that a KMS host server be configured so that clients can activate it. If there is no configured KMS host server in your environment, install and activate them with an appropriate KMS host server key. After configuring a computer on the network to host the KMS software, publish the domain name system (DNS) settings.
Change the product key for your copy of Windows.
Here are the steps to follow (make sure you follow them letter by letter and do not skip any of them):
- Enter your Windows
- Close all currently open programs.
- Once all programs are closed, you must place the cursor in the lower left corner of your screen and click on it with the right mouse button. This action will lead to a context menu that will appear on your screen.
- Browse all the different options in the context menu until you find Run and select it. If you choose Run, you will be prompted to display a Run command box on your screen.
- Once the Run command box appears on your screen, type “slui 3” (no quotation marks).
- After entering this command, click OK. This action prompts Windows Activation to appear on your screen. You will be prompted to enter a valid product key.
- After entering a valid product key for Windows 8, click the Enable button.
Activate Windows by phone call
This process involves calling Microsoft so that they can activate it for you. To activate;
- Open the search menu, click the Start button if you are on Windows 7, or press the Windows + F button to open the search menu if you are on Windows 8 or 10.
- Then type slui.exe 4 and press Enter. A new window opens. You can also open this window using the Run command.
- Press Windows + R, then type slui.exe 4 in the new window.
- Click OK and the Phone Activation window opens. Select your country from the drop-down list, then select the phone activation option.
- A new window will open with a toll-free number that you can call.
The caller on the other side prompts you to enter an installation ID. They will then indicate the activation code.
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.