RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
A user can see this error message when trying to use BitLocker on a Windows system.
BitLocker encryption is used to secure the entire volume using AES encryption technology. It is an alternative to EFS or Encrypting File System. BitLocker is preferred by those who want to encrypt the entire hard disk and not EFS, which can encrypt individual files.
BitLocker supports the following authentication mechanisms and an optional Escrow recovery key.
- TPM Only.
- TPM + PIN.
- TPM + PIN + USB Key.
- TPM + USB Key.
- USB Key.
- Password Only.
This means that a user has many authentication options when using BitLocker.
Disable encryption of the BitLocker drive
To stop encrypting the BitLocker drive on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:
- Click on Start, click on Control Panel, click on Control Panel, click on
- System and security, then click on BitLocker Drive Encryption.
- Click on Suspend protection for the operating system drive.
- A message will appear informing you that your data is not protected when BitLocker is exposed and asking you if you want to stop encrypting the BitLocker drive.
- Click Yes to continue and pause BitLocker on the player.
Activate the following GPO settings
You can check the local group policy if the following option is enabled:
- Press the Windows + R button, then type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
- Navigate to the directory below:
- Computer configuration\Administration models\Windows components\BitLocker drive encryption\Operating system drives
- Make sure that BitLocker authentication is enabled, which requires you to enter a pre-initialization keyboard on the slate discs.
Activate BitLocker on the operating system drive.
After you have ensured that BitLocker can be properly enabled on your computer, follow these steps:
- Use the Windows + R key combination to open the Run command, type gpedit.msc, then click OK.
- Under Computer Configuration, develop Administrative Templates.
- Expand Windows components.
- Extend the encryption of the BitLocker drive and operating system drives.
- Double-click on Additional Authentication Required in the right pane at startup.
- Select On.
- Be sure to enable the “Allow BitLocker without compatible TPM (requires a password or boot key on a USB stick)” option.
- Click OK to complete this process.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.