Updated July 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
find the following registry key :
- Find the entry Layout_MaximumRowCount in the right pane of Registry Editor. If it doesn’t exist, you may have to create it. To do this, right-click an empty field in the right pane of the grid, click New and DWORD (32 bits), then type Layout_MaximumRowCount and press Enter.
- If you find it, set its value to a number higher or lower than the current number. For example, if you have 5 lines on the starting screen, set the value to 4 or 3, the maximum possible value is 5, depending on the resolution of your screen. I changed mine to four.
- Click the OK button (16) to close the Registry Editor.
Restart your Windows 8 computer or log out for the changes to take effect.
You will now see that the start screen displays 4 lines. To restore the default settings, you can simply delete the newly created registry key. Remember that it is always a good idea to create a system restore point before making changes to the Windows registry.
UPDATE: Under certain circumstances, Windows 8 offers an additional option to display additional tiles on the Home screen. However, under Windows 8.1, all users will see this setting.
See also how to use PowerShell or VBScript to change the number of App Tile rows on the Windows 8 boot screen.
Do you want to change the color of the tiles on the home screen to Windows 8? Take a look at the Windows check color changer.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here