RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
With many video games with incredibly realistic graphics, it’s not surprising that our brain has trouble distinguishing between real and virtual images. But as exciting as they are, high-resolution graphics and bold animations displayed on a large, high-resolution screen can make vulnerable gamers feel motion sickness.
What is motion sickness and how is it caused by video games?
The term “motion sickness” is used to describe the nausea that sometimes occurs in people who are on the move. It occurs most often during vehicle travel and is often called “motion sickness”. Symptoms include :
- Excess saliva
If these symptoms occur as a result of immersion in a virtual environment – for example, in pilots undergoing simulator training – it is referred to as “simulator sickness”. However, doctors still don’t know exactly why gambling causes this form of motion sickness.
How to Limit Video Game Sickness
Whether you are playing or just watching, there are some things you can do to limit or avoid nausea, dizziness and other symptoms:
- Watch or play in a well-lit, well-ventilated room.
- Sit further away from the screen.
- Take breaks and go for a breath of fresh air or a glass of water.
- Play new games, stay active for only 5 minutes at first, then slowly increase the amount of time you play or view.
- Adjust the game settings according to the field of vision or movement sensitivity.
- Select games that are played in the third person.
- Try medications or other methods to relieve motion sickness.
Game Settings to Reduce Motion Sickness
Games know they can cause motion sickness, and some have the ability to reduce motion sickness. You can activate them and change the game settings so that they don’t cause as much motion sickness. Not all games have this option, but it’s worth checking.
- Launch the game and access its settings.
- Under Graphics or Game Controls, look for an option called motion sickness.
- Turn it on or activate it.
There are a number of settings that you can change to reduce motion sickness, but you won’t find them all in one place. Explore the settings of the game you are playing and try to change everything to make the game more comfortable.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.