RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Just as you can view PDF files in Chrome, what would happen if you could view Office documents directly in your Internet browser? Chromebook users certainly have the advantage here. You can open Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files directly in your browser, but what about Windows users? This changes now that the same functionality has been extended to Windows and Mac via Chrome Office Viewer. This extension allows you to view Word documents, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint slides directly in the Google Chrome browser.
Chrome Office Viewer
Chrome Office Viewer is a blessing especially for Windows users who regularly need to open Microsoft Office documents in their browser.
- All a user has to do is open this page and click the’Add to Chrome’ button.
- After that, a confirmation message is displayed before the Chrome Office Viewer download starts.
- When the Chrome Office Viewer (Beta) extension installation process is complete, download a supported file – Word, Excel or PowerPoint (any Office document) and right-click it to view the file.
- The strong point of the application is that Chrome Office Viewer not only saves you time, but also protects you against malware delivered via Office files. It contains a special sandbox to prevent attackers who use compromised Office files to steal private information or monitor your activities.
- The extension is capable of opening an Office file from 1997-2013 directly in Chrome – identical to the Chrome PDF Viewer.
Supported formats :
Note: This extension is already installed on Chrome OS and does not currently support editing. To edit, please import files into Google Drive or use your favorite editing software.
If you cannot install this extension and receive the following error message – This application is not supported on this computer. The installation has been disabled, try the following suggestions:
- Make sure your file is supported. Your device can open.doc,.docx,.docx,.xls,.xlsx,.pptx and.pptx files. If your file format is not supported, try uploading the file to Google Docs or another web application to view the file online.
- Make sure the Native Client plugin is enabled. Chrome devices use this plug-in to open Office documents. To check this plugin on your device, go to about:plugins and make sure Native Client is marked as enabled.
- Reload the tab that contains your file.
- Close and reopen the File application.
- Restart your Chrome device and try opening the file again.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance