RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Having too many broken shortcuts on your Windows can be messy and it’s a good idea to look for and remove broken shortcuts from time to time – just a matter of good financial management! If you have deleted or uninstalled programs, deleted bookmarks, files or folders moved to another location, valid shortcuts only once may refer to files that no longer exist. These links are described as bad, invalid or broken, and you must remove them.
Delete broken shortcuts
As I mentioned earlier, it can sometimes be messy and boring to have broken shortcuts on the desktop or in the Start menu. Imagine clicking on a shortcut, getting an error message and realizing that it leads nowhere! Here are some tools that can help you remove broken shortcuts in Windows.
1] fix to remove broken desktop shortcuts
Microsoft fix removes broken shortcuts More specifically, it will solve the problem:
- Problems with desktop shortcuts and icons
- Desktop shortcuts do not work or are broken
- Desktop icons are broken or have not been used for 3 months
- Startup items do not work or are defective
In addition to removing broken shortcuts, it will also perform our other system maintenance tasks.
2] Bad shortcut killer
Bad Shortcut Killer is a freeware that searches your Windows start menu, jump lists and desktop and repairs or deletes them easily. To repair broken shortcuts, run Bad Shortcut Killer. Click the’Find wrong shortcuts’ button and the tool searches for invalid shortcuts. Once the scan is complete, you will see a list of broken shortcuts.
Select the shortcuts you think are broken and click on the’Delete selected shortcuts’ button. Defective or invalid links are deleted. This freeware can do the following:
- It looks for incorrect shortcuts in the Start menu, desktop, jump lists and Start folder.
- It can remove invalid shortcuts
- It keeps your Start & Desktop menu clean and free of broken shortcuts
- Helps keep invalid shortcuts out of your Start and Desktop Menu.
You can download it here.
3] Broken Shortcut Fixer
Broken Shortcut Fix finds broken shortcuts on your Windows computer and automatically repairs any shortcuts it can find using the Windows link resolution method. To use this broken keyboard shortcut:
- Click Scan Shortcuts to repair and find broken shortcuts.
- Double-click broken shortcuts to display them in Windows.
- Move the mouse pointer over a broken shortcut to see the broken path.
- Delete broken shortcuts sends the selected shortcuts to the Recycle Bin.
4] Repair Shortcuts
Puran Fix Shortcuts is another utility that can help you find and remove broken shortcuts on your computer. Its main characteristics are:
- It scans and removes broken links.
- Automatically repairs all broken links with a single click.
- You can change the defective destination path to a valid path.
It can be downloaded here.
5] Shortcut Scanner helps to detect and remove dangerous links.
Check if you notice missing desktop shortcuts in Windows.