Updated July 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
The hard disk cleanup utility is a convenient integrated tool that can help you recover hard disk space. It can delete temporary files, old Windows files, thumbnails, delivery optimization files, Windows update logs, etc. Now, if you run the disk cleaning utility and it locks during Windows Update cleaning, here’s what you need to do. When cleaning files, the process can be slow and take forever.
If cleaning Windows Update is blocked or takes forever, click Cancel after a while. The dialog box closes.
You can use third-party PC optimization tools to delete unnecessary files and browser history, but you may need to contact the Windows Disk Cleanup utility to clean up important system files, such as Windows Update and previous Windows installation files.
Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
This troubleshooter is an automated tool that integrates with Windows 8 and finds and fixes the most common problems with Windows Update. Follow these steps to run this tool and see if it helps you.
a) Press the Windows Logo + W keys on your keyboard.
b) In the search bar, type “Troubleshooting” and press Enter.
c) In the Troubleshooting window, in the left pane, click on View All.
d) Click on Windows Update.
e) Click on Advanced, then on Run as administrator.
f) Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to complete your troubleshooting.
After running Windows Update troubleshooting, check to see if you can complete the disk cleaning process. If the problem persists, you can proceed to the next method.
Refresh or reset Windows 10.
If the above troubleshooting steps did not work, you can try to update or reset the system to re-save all Windows files. This resets the computer settings to the Windows default value.
Reset the Windows Update components.
To reset the Windows Update components, follow the steps below to resolve them.
- Navigate through the path: C:\Windows\DistributionofSoftware\Download. (Assuming that Windows is installed in drive C, otherwise navigate to the root path).
- Select all the files in the software distribution and delete them permanently.
- Then, empty the Trash and try to install the updated version now.
- Run this batch script which can help you solve various types of problems related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all versions of Windows. Batch file to reset Windows Update.
Delete temporary files
Manual deletion of temporary files can help you solve the problem. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to Start and enter %temp% in the search menu > Press Enter.
- Right-click on the temporary files > select Delete.
- Restart your computer and run Disk Cleanup again to see if the problem is solved.
No computer can operate indefinitely without errors, especially if millions or trillions of lines of code have to be written, deleted and rewritten every second. This is why each operating system has a maintenance mode to “clean” the system so that everything works perfectly.
I hope this will solve the problem. If you need more help on this subject, please do not hesitate to contact us to provide us with the results and additional information on this subject.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.