RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Today (14.05.2019) is the second Tuesday of the month (May 2019), so it is time for another round of “Patch Tuesday Updates”, which Microsoft regularly publishes as part of the monthly security updates for all supported Windows devices. And part of the monthly security updates of May 2019 Microsoft publishes the cumulative update KB4499179 (OS build 16299.1146) available for the authors of the fall 1709 and 1703 update of Windows 10. Again, this update focuses on security fixes and updates, not new features.
Microsoft no longer releases security patches for Windows 10 version 1709, the technology giant terminated official support for IoT Core, Workstation, Home and Pro versions of Windows 10 v1709 in April.
Enterprise, LoT and Education Edition users will continue to receive updates over a 12-month period.
Windows 10 Build 16299.1146
Old version of Windows 10 1709, update of the fall creator not supported, but for companies that receive the business or educational edition of Windows 10 update KB4499179, which solves many problems and stops the version number at 16299.1146.
There is also a new cumulative update KB4499181 (OS Build 15063.1805) for Windows 10 1703 (Creators Update) and Windows 10 KB4494440 (OS Build 14393.2969) which is available for the 1607 anniversary update.
If you encounter problems installing these updates, refer to the Windows 10 Update to troubleshoot Windows 10 troubleshooting guide. Cumulative update KB4494441, KB4499167, KB4499179 downloading blocks, could not be installed with various errors, and so on.
Windows 10 now automatically removes invalid updates.
Windows 10 is configured to automatically download and install updates to keep your device safe and trouble-free. But sometimes, for a variety of reasons, including software and driver compatibility issues, Windows updates are subject to errors and hardware errors. In some cases, Windows Update may not install.
Today, Microsoft confirmed that after installing a recent update, if your PC has boot errors and automatic recovery attempts fail, Windows can try to fix the error by uninstalling the recently installed updates.
The company also indicates that Windows will automatically exclude problematic updates from automatic installation for the next 30 days. During these 30 days, Microsoft and its partners will investigate the problem and try to solve it. Once the problems are resolved, Windows will try to reinstall the updates.
Windows 10 PC Build 16299.1146 Changelog:
Improvements and Fixes
This update includes quality improvements. Some of the most important changes are:
- Provides protection against a new subclass of speculative runtime vulnerabilities called microarchitectural data sampling for 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows (CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130). Use the registry settings as described in the Windows Client article. (These registry settings are enabled by default for Windows Client OS editions).
- Inserts “uk.gov” in the HTTP Strict Transport Security Top Level Domains (TLD HSTS) for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Fixed a problem that could cause “Error 1309” when installing or uninstalling certain types of.msi and.msp files on a virtual drive.
- Fix a problem that prevents Microsoft Visual Studio Simulator from starting.
- Fix a problem that causes zone transfers between primary and secondary DNS servers to fail using TCP (Transmission Control Protocol).
- Fixes a problem that may reduce or enlarge the size of the text, layout or cell compared to the MS UI Gothic or MS PGothic fonts that Microsoft Excel expects when you use.
- Security updates for Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Cryptography, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Wireless Networking, Windows Virtualization, Windows Kernel, Windows Server and Microsoft JET Database Engine.
KB4499179 Known Issues
The update KB4499179 has only one known problem, namely folders or files located on a CSV (Cluster Shared Volume). Renaming or operations performed on these files and folders often fail. They are usually associated with an error message STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5).
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.