Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
The error “A fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep machine” occurs frequently if you have used Sysprep more than three times. Sysprep, also known as the system preparation tool, is developed by Microsoft and allows you to install Windows on other hardware. This tool is designed mainly for system administrators, OEMs, etc. and allows you to install Windows on multiple computers.
Once the first installation steps have been completed, you can launch the Sysprep tool to clone your computer and install Windows on other systems. Few people know it, but there is a limit to the number of times you can run it on a single Windows image. Nevertheless, the patch is quite simple, and you can use it again once you have implemented it. Browse the article to learn more about the causes and the solution.
Change the SkipRearm Key
- Press the Windows + R key to open Run.
- Type regedit and click OK to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Windows Registry Editor, navigate to the following location :
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSoftwareProtectionPlatform: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSoftwareProtectionPlatform
- Locate the “SkipRearm” button in the right pane.
- Double-click the “SkipRearm” button to open the properties.
- In the Value Data field, type 1 and click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor and check that the error is fixed.
By changing the SkipRearam key, you can fix the fatal Sysprep error in Windows. Be sure to create a restore point before changing the registry keys.
Repair the Windows 10 Image
- Press the Windows key to call up the search bar.
- Type cmd.
- Right-click the command prompt and select Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, type the following command and press Enter
- DISM /Online /Cleaning screen /CheckHealth
- The above command performs a quick check of the status and determines if there is data corruption that needs to be corrected.
- If problems are detected, you can use the following command to recreate the Windows image:
- DISM /Online /Clean Image /RestoreHealth
- The process may take a few minutes.
- A success message is displayed when the process is complete.
- Close the command prompt and start the System Setup Tool.
Uninstall the MSDTC service on your computer.
This error is due to the MSDTC service not working or not working properly.
- To resolve this problem, you must uninstall and then reinstall the MSDTC service.
- At the command prompt, as the administrator, run the following command :
- uninstall msdtc
- This will uninstall the MSDTC service on your computer.
- To install the MSDTC service, you must now type the following command at the command prompt
- install msdtc
- All you have to do is close the command prompt window and check if your problems are solved.
This method has proven to be an effective solution for a number of users.
These two fixes also apply to other versions of the Windows operating system, including Windows 10, but this error usually occurs in Windows 7.
STAFF RECOMMENATION: If you're having issues with your PC, click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance.
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.