RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
The connection between your Windows 10 PC and the printer is established via a printer driver. In most cases, everything works well and looks good, but sometimes the printer does not respond and returns the error message 0x000007d1 – The specified driver is invalid. What should I do to correct this behaviour?
Operation could not be completed (error 0x000007d1), The specified driver is invalid
Using System File Checker
You can use the System File Checker tool to repair damaged system files.
Perform these steps:
Press the Windows + X buttons and select System Symbol (Administrator) or Windows PowerShell (Administrator), in the window that opens, you must enter the commands in the appropriate order:
• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
• DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
• sfc /scannow
Each of these actions can take a few minutes, so it is important to perform one after the other. At the end, you must restart the PC.
Use this Registry Workaround
Note: Please register the registry first before making any changes.
Normally, correcting a printer driver error is simply a matter of updating, installing or reinstalling the driver. If this method does not work, you can try a simple hacking of the registry.
- Press Windows + R. Type ‘regedit’ in the Open field, then click OK.
- Search for it, then click on the following registry subkey, if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\PostSPUpgrade
- On the Edit menu, click Delete, then click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the PostSPUpgrade registry key.
- Restart your PC (OR launch’net stop spooler’ followed by’net start spooler’ from a high prompt).
After that, you should not see the specified driver invalid when you try to print something under Windows 10. You should also be able to perform the printing job.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.