RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
The advantage of Nexus Mod Manager is the speed with which it becomes an easily accessible and self-created library of your modular games. It simply offers mod categories that keep your collection in order instantly and provide an easy to find mod system no matter how many you have installed.
However, some users find themselves in a situation where they go to the “Nexusmods” page and try to download mod files by clicking on the “Download with Manager” button, and it loads a little, but the Nexus Mod Manager simply does not want to download the clicked file.
Using the registry editor
A temporary workaround solution is the manual installation of the link manager:
- Open regedit with administrator rights.
- Add a new key named nxm to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
- There, change the value of the string (by default) to Nexus Mod Download (or whatever you want to call it).
- Add another string value called URL protocol. Leave the value blank.
- Add a key to nxm named DefaultIcon. Set the value (default) to “C:\Path\to\NexusClient.exe,1”.
- Add another key to nxm named Shell.
- Add a key to the shell named open.
- Add a key to open the called command.
- Set the (default) value of the command to “C:\Path\to\NexusClient.exe” “%1”.
Once this is done, the mods download works.
Re-associate your NXM files using the Nexus Mod Manager.
- Open the Nexus Mod Manager program with administrator rights (right click “Run as administrator”).
- Click on “Settings” at the top of the Nexus Mod Manager.
- In the General tab, check the “Link to NXM URLs” box.
- If “Associate with NXM URLs” is already enabled, disable it and check it again.
- Click on OK
Your NXM files are again linked to the Nexus Mod Manager! To be sure, go to the Nexus website and try to download a mod with the green “Download with Manager” button. It should open the Nexus Mod Manager program.
Checking NXM settings in Firefox
As its name suggests, this method checks the settings of the Firefox browser for the Nexus mode Internet Download Manager. It is possible that the nxm will work with an incorrect application or no application selected in your settings. If you change the nxm settings, this problem will be fixed because you can’t get downloads from the website in the manager. The steps to check and repair this option are as follows:
- Launch “Firefox” and go to “Options”.
- On the left, select the Applications tab.
- Then select “Nexus Mod Manager” for nxm from the list.
- If NMM is not in the drop-down list, select Use other.
- Click Browse and select NexusClient.exe from the installed folder.
- Now go and try to download via NMM.
NMM was developed and tested only with legal and steam copies in the case of Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.