RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
The Social Club App is an introduction to Rockstar Games that is used to view a member’s profile. As a member of the Rockstar Games Social Club, you enjoy many benefits both in-game and online. You have exclusive access to weapons, cars, hairstyles, and stats, including for members only.
The Social Club app launches every time you launch GTA V. Otherwise, the game will not work. Many players reported that “The Social Club could not be initialized. You will see error code 17 “every time you try to launch the game. If you encounter this problem, we will show you how to fix error code 17 in Grand Theft Auto 5.
Reset game settings
If error code 17 occurs due to an error loading the Social Club app due to a local issue, the issue should be resolved by resetting the entire collection of settings from GTA V. Game.
While most of the affected users have confirmed that this fixed the issue, keep in mind that this will reset all player settings to their default values. This includes all the custom graphics, sound, controls, and even cloud storage settings in story mode.
When you’re ready to go down this route, follow the steps below to reset your GTAV game and resolve the Social Club initialization error (error code 17):
- Open File Explorer, go to the ribbon at the top, and click View. Check the box for file name extensions.
- Navigate to the following location to land directly in the GTA V folder:
- C: \ Users \ ~ USER NAME ~ \ Documents \ Rockstar Games \ GTAV
- When you’re in the right place, right-click on the settings.xml file and choose Rename from the context menu that appears.
- Then rename the XML extension associated with the settings to .old and press Enter to save the change. Click Yes on the confirmation window to confirm the action.
- Note. This operation causes the game to ignore this file and create a new equivalent from scratch.
- When you’ve successfully changed the extension, navigate to your game’s profile folder:
- C: \ Users \ ~ USER NAME ~ \ Documents \ Rockstar Games \ GTAV \ Profiles \ ~ PROFILEFOLDER ~
- Once in the correct location, right-click the cfg.dat file and choose Rename from the context menu. As before, rename the .old file so that the game will ignore the settings.
- Repeat the same with pc_settings.bin (rename it pc_settings.old), restart your computer and launch GTAV as soon as the next boot is complete.
Check Steam cache (Steam version only)
- Load Steam.
- In the Library section, right-click the game and choose Properties from the menu.
- Select the Local Files tab and click the Check Integrity Game Cache button.
- Steam will check the game files – this process may take several minutes.
Run GTAV as administrator
- Go to the PC GTAV installation directory
- Right-click the PlayGTAV.exe file.
- Click Run as Administrator.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.