Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
Users have raised questions about errors that occur when starting or playing at Magic The Gathering Arena. Next, we will give you some solutions to get rid of the fatal error in the GC error message “GetThreadContext failed”.
How do you fix the MTG Arena Fatal Error in GC GetThreadContext Failed:
Disabling DEP for MTG Arena in Windows 10
- Open the Control Panel, go to System, then click Advanced System Settings in the upper left corner.
- The system properties window should now be open.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click Settings in the Performance area.
- In the Performance window, go to the Data Execution Prevention tab
- Be sure to activate all the programs except the EPD I selected and click on the Add button.
- In this last step, you must navigate to the application executable file, select it and click Apply.
Uninstall the FACEIT Client
FACEIT is a solution for clients and servers to detect cheaters in online games or software that could help players break the rules while playing.
If it is installed on your system, simply turn it off and try to start MTG Arena. If the problem persists, uninstall the FACEIT client, restart your computer and try again.
You should have more success this time.
Changing Compatibility Mode to Win98/ME
For those who don’t know how to change compatibility:
- Right-click on the game in Steam.
- Click Properties in the drop-down list (the last thing you need to click).
- Click the Local Files tab.
- Click on “Browse Local Files”.
- Right click on the executable file “Cities.exe”.
- Click on “Properties” in the drop-down menu.
- Click the Compatibility tab.
- Check the box “Run this program in compatibility mode for:”.
- Select “Windows 98 / Windows Me” from the drop-down list.
Add MTG Arena to your antivirus exception list
n many other cases where security solutions are at stake, these perfectly legal applications could also get in the way. Users have reported that after updating their antivirus software, a fatal error suddenly appeared in GC GetThreadContext.
For some of them, it was as easy as putting MTG Arena on their VA’s exception list. Unfortunately, this does not always work. You may need to use other security software.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.