RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Screencastify is one of the most popular and convenient screen capture tools. Screencasting is often needed quickly, and in this department Screencastify is more than a competent tool. Video casting is always just a few clicks away with this application.
However, this application is sometimes prone to problems. Even the most technically savvy user can miss the cause of the malfunction of the popular browser extension.
To Correct Screencastify “Recording not started”.
If you get a “Recording not started” error when you start a recording, something is blocking the start of Screencastify.
To solve this problem, we recommend the following measures:
- If you are using a Mac computer, make sure that screen recording is enabled in your system preferences.
- Restart your Chrome browser and try again.
- Restart your computer and try again.
- Uninstall and reinstall Screencastify
WARNING: If you save your recordings locally and not on your Google Drive, they will be permanently deleted when you uninstall Screencastify. Export them first.
Enable the Microphone in Google Chrome
Microphone audio is the sound you record directly from a microphone. This can be either a microphone built into your laptop/desktop computer or an external microphone.
If you plan to record browser sound while you are talking into your microphone, you should use headphones instead of your computer’s speakers. If you don’t, the microphone will pick up any sound from the speakers, causing distortion. This essentially makes your audio recording unusable.
Now that you’ve set up your microphone, whether internal or external, it’s time to enable it for Google Chrome as well.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of Chrome.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Scroll down to the “Privacy and Security” section and click “Website Settings”.
- Click on “Microphone” in the “Permissions” section.
- From the drop-down menu, select the microphone you wish to use.
- Just make sure the sites you want to visit are not in the list of blocked sites. If you find any, click on the small arrow next to the site address to open the appropriate settings. In the “Permissions” section, locate the “Microphone” entry and select “Allow” from the drop-down menu next to it.
When this is done, you can close the settings page and restart Chrome before continuing.
You can manually reinstall Screencastify. To uninstall the extension, go to your page in the Google online store. Next to the extension title, you will find an icon to remove it from Chrome. Click it.
- You can also right-click anywhere in the extension bar (to the right of your address bar).
- Then select Manage Extensions from the drop-down menu. Scroll until you find Screencastify, or use the magnifying glass icon on this page to find it.
- Then choose Delete. Confirm by clicking Delete again.
- You will be taken to the 30 second survey page on uninstalling Screencastify.
- You can close this tab if you wish to reinstall it.
Now re-install the application. Finding it in Google’s online store is probably the easiest way to install the Chrome extensions.
After installing Screencastify and activating the microphone, you should be able to hear the sound and enjoy the application.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.