RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
The PCL XL error usually occurs with printers when printing, especially HP LaserJet printers. If you have this PCL XL error in your printer, don’t worry. You can fix it quickly and easily.
This error occurs when multiple documents are sent for printing. It is a problem of damage to your printer driver. And sometimes your print settings may also be the cause of the error.
Despite your efforts to use safe printing methods, you may still encounter the following printing error: Unsupported Protocol.
If you encounter this problem, you can try one of the following troubleshooting tips to resolve it as quickly as possible.
Rename the files associated with your printer
Users indicated that they were able to correct the printer error by renaming the files for their printer. It would therefore be worth trying the same solution. Here are the steps:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + E keys. This should launch the file explorer.
- Navigate to this location :
- You must now filter the files, displaying only files with the .gpd extension. To do this, click on the arrow next to “Type”.
- Select the GPD file.
- Modify the file names to suit your needs. However, before renaming these files, we recommend that you create backup copies first.
- Save the changes you have made and restart your PC.
- After booting up your system, try printing a document again. Check whether the PCL XL error has disappeared.
Enable the “Send True Type as Bitmap” Option.
- To change your printer settings, go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound.
- Open Devices and Printers.
- Right-click your printer icon and select Print Settings.
- Open the Advanced tab.
- In the Printer Features section, you must enable the “Send True Type as Bitmap” option.
- Confirm by clicking OK and try printing again.
Adjusting Printer Settings
Once the Print Preferences window is open, click on the Advanced tab at the top of the window. From there, select the “Optimize for Text and Vector” option that appears in the “Print Optimization” menu. This tells your printer that it can accept and print different media content in addition to the standard text data. Once you have confirmed these settings, your printer should be able to print the intended documents without displaying a PCL XL error.
Try a test printout of the last document where the error occurred. If you still get the same message, try restarting your printer to ensure that your changes have been properly implemented. At this point, you should be able to successfully complete printing your document. However, if you continue to experience problems, you may be able to get additional help by contacting Hewlett Packard’s online support teams.
Keep in mind that this problem is almost always a problem with the printer setup options, not the printer hardware itself. With this in mind, you can probably solve this problem without replacing your printer.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.