RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
If you view a screenshot of a virtual machine using startup diagnostics, the screenshot displays a Windows installation error when services are started during Windows installation. On error, the following message is displayed:
Windows cannot complete system configuration. Restart your computer to proceed with the configuration. Installer starts services
This error occurs when the operating system is unable to complete the Sysprep process. This error occurs when you try to start a generic virtual machine for the first time. If this problem occurs, rebuild the generic image because the image is in an unmountable state and cannot be restored.
What is sysprepping?
Sysprepping allows you to deploy Microsoft Windows images to other computers using the Sysprep utility. Sysprep is a tool developed by Microsoft that simplifies the process of deploying Microsoft Windows to many other computers at the same time. It removes computer-related information from a Windows image, and then can be easily installed or deployed to other computers.
So, for Sysprepping, you need to first create an image of your Windows on your current system. After that, you need to use the Sysprep tool to prepare it for installation on other computers.
Now, let’s move on to this error that occurs when you sysprepen a Windows 10 image and restart your computer.
Disable Enable protection of data folder
Disable the data folder protection setting in the MAR policy, run Sysprep, and then re-enable the setting when Sysprep finishes.
- Open ePO and go to MAR strategy.
- On the General tab, clear the Activate data folder protection check box.
- Send wake up to the agent on the endpoint.
- The policy change is applied to the endpoint.
- Run Sysprep and wait for it to complete.
- Re-enable data folder protection in the MAR policy and send the agent wake-up on the endpoint.
Use the Microsoft patch
The bug can be fixed with the patch http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981542/. How to get on a laptop?
- If error: Windows cannot complete system configuration. Restart your computer to proceed with the configuration. Press SHIFT-F10. Don’t click OK.
- At this point, you can do almost anything.
- I advise to start services.msc and start all services marked: Automatic.
- Run compmgmt.msc, activate an admin user or create an additional user with admin rights
- Run explorer.exe
- Now you can change user
- Login with administrator and run the fix
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.