Last Updated on July 5, 2019
Updated July 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Have you seen the following message in Microsoft Word? This is not really an error or a warning, it’s just a notification that something in your settings may require your attention. It should also be noted that the problem is related to the file types associated with the Word program.
Microsoft Word isn’t your default program for viewing and editing documents. Do you want to select the file types that Word should open?
This software may be useful for simple word processing, but its features are not as complete as those of Microsoft Word. We will not be surprised if you ask: “How can I make Word the default program instead of Wordpad? In this article, we will show you several ways to make Microsoft Word the default program for opening documents in Windows 10.
To set Microsoft Word as the default document program
After adding Microsoft Word to your computer, the installer automatically sets it as the default program for certain file types. Although it supports other file types, Word is not defined as the default program for them. For example, Word can process PDF files, but Microsoft Edge is probably the program that automatically opens them.
If you want to know how to configure Microsoft Word as the default program to launch certain types of files, read our tips below.
There are two ways to change the default program that opens for a particular file type.
Click the Start button and start typing “Default”.
- After a few letters, “Default programs” will appear in the search results. Click on it.
- The window that opens lists some of the most popular applications, such as email and browsers, but none for opening PDF files.
- Scroll down and click on the Choose Default Applications by File Type link.
- A screen appears with a list of all the different file types and default programs to which they are currently assigned.
- Scroll to the file type for which you want to change the default program.
Click on the icon of the current default program.
A menu that opens allows you to choose among the programs installed on your computer that can open this type of file.
Disabling the command prompt in Word settings
If you are looking for the fastest possible solution, the fastest way to do so is simply to prevent Word from displaying the message again. But remember that this does not solve the underlying problem that triggers the prompt – Word is still not the default program.
If you fully agree that Word is not the default text editor, follow these steps to reconfigure Word so that the “Word is not your default program to view and edit documents” prompt no longer appears.
Here is a quick guide to disable the command prompt by disabling the option “Tell me if Microsoft Word is not the default program for viewing and editing documents” in the Word options:
- Open Microsoft Word and go to File > Options from the ribbon at the top of the screen.
- If you are on the Word Options screen, select the General tab in the left vertical menu, then move to the right pane.
- In the right pane, scroll down to Startup Options and uncheck the Tell me if Microsoft Word is not the default program for viewing and editing documents.
- Once the box is unchecked, click on Ok and close your Word editor.
- The next time you try to start Word, you should no longer encounter the prompt “Word is not your default program for viewing and editing documents”.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.