Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
Garry`s Mod, short for GMod, is a popular sandbox game that was first published in 2006. Developed by Facepunch Studios and published by Valve, the game supports both single-player and multiplayer modes and is available for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Several problems have been reported since the game’s release, and one of them is the crash of Garry`s Mod. Although the game’s developer has released numerous fixes to address these pesky issues, many Windows players are still reporting the crash problem.
What can you do if your GMod keeps crashing? Don’t worry. Here are some viable solutions, and you can skip to the next list until the problem is actually solved.
What caused Garry’s Mod to crash
- Well, Garry`s Mod game uses properties of other source games, so if one game has corrupted files, it can cause Garry`s Mod to crash.
- The problem of GMod crashing can also be related to the resolution of the game. So in this case, you need to force the game to use a specific resolution.
- Many players have confirmed that Silverline Fallout NPCs, Eye Divine Cybermancy SNPCS, and Dark Messiah are the main culprits of crashes and freezes during the game.
- If your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements to run the game, this is the cause of the problem.
- Many gamers use high graphics settings to get a better gaming experience. So, if you are one of them too, this is the cause of GMod Lua Panic, not enough memory problem.
- If your graphics drivers are outdated, it can also cause various problems and errors in Garry`s Mod game.
- It may happen that because of third-party content, you will face the problem that the game does not start.
To fix Garry`s Mod crash
Check the cache of other Steam games
Garry`s Mod uses resources from other Source games, and if any of those games have corrupted files, it can cause Garry`s Mod to crash.
To solve this problem, we recommend checking the integrity of the game cache for other Garry`s Mod-related games. Users have reported that Team Fortress 2 is often the cause, so check the cache for that game first.
Quit all add-ons and reinstall Garry`s Mod
- Open Steam, go to the game’s library, and find Garry`s Mod.
- Right-click on the Garry module and select Remove Local Content.
- Now go to Steamsteamappscommon and delete the GarrysMod folder.
- Reinstall GarrysMod via Steam.
If there is no other way to solve Garry`s Mod freeze problems, your last solution is to reinstall the game. Before reinstalling the game, be sure to unsubscribe from all add-ons.
Add the ability to run +mat_dxlevel 95
- Start Steam and open your game library.
- Find Harry Mode, right-click on it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Click “Set Startup Options” and enter +mat_dxlevel 95.
- Save the changes and run Garry`s Mod from your game library.
Some users have recommended using the +mat_dxlevel 95 startup option to solve Garry`s Mod crash problem.
Check the game cache
- Open Steam and go to your game library.
- Find Garry`s mod, right-click on it, and select Properties from the menu.
- Go to the “Local Files” tab and click on “Check game cache integrity”.
- Wait for this process to complete.
Many games crash when their files are corrupted. So if Garry`s Mod crashes on your computer, you need to check the integrity of the game cache.
Adding the 32-bit boot option
- Open Steam and right-click on Garry`s Mod. Select Properties.
- In the General section, click the Configure startup options and add -32bit.
- Save the changes and start the game.
Users report that adding this startup option solves most of the problem, but crashes can still occur when Alt+Tab is pressed.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Open Steam.
- Go to the "Library."
- Right-click on "Garry`s Mod".
- Select "Properties" from the drop-down menu.
- Open the "Local Files" tab.
- Click on the "Check the integrity of the game cache" button.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Install the latest drivers.
- Install the correct software.
- Make sure your computer is not overheating.
- Disable background programs.
- Disable the onboard sound device.
- Check for malware.
- Check your hardware.
Sometimes a corrupt or virus-infected file causes the game to crash. Also check all other mods/games related to Gmod, such as CS:S. Right-click on them in your library, select Properties, go to the Local Files tab and then click Check Game Cache Integrity.
Will GMod work on my laptop? With the latest version of Garry`s Mod, which you can download for free, you can play the game without slowing down your Windows 7 or Windows 10 PC.