Steam is a great gaming platform, but many users have reported that nothing happens when you click “Play” on Steam. This can be a big problem, as you won’t be able to run games at all, but today we’ll show you how to solve this problem.
There are many Steam-related issues that you may encounter, and many users have reported not being able to run games on Steam. Also, users have mentioned that Steam sometimes launches the game but nothing happens or Steam game displays a “Running” message and then stops.
So check the following solutions if nothing happens when you want to play games on Steam.
The reason why LOTRO cannot run on Windows 10
- File corruption when installing LOTRO: Whether you run the game through Steam or using a standalone launcher, file corruption can cause this type of problem on Windows 10. If you’re using Steam, you can fix the problem by checking the integrity of the LOTRO files and replacing corrupted instances with healthy ones. If you’re using the standalone installer, you’ll need to reinstall it through the official channels.
- The game is trying to run on the embedded GPU: If you see this error when trying to run the game on a dual GPU configuration, it is possible that the game is trying to use the embedded GPU instead of the dedicated GPU. In this case, you can solve the problem by disabling the embedded graphics card.
- Lack of administrative rights: From time to time, LOTRO developers release an update that makes changes depending on the game. In this case, you need to make sure that the launcher (which updates and fixes the game) has administrator rights to make the necessary changes.
- Missing Dynamic Link Library files: Don’t forget that Windows 10 systems are designed by default to prefer DirectX12 when rendering LOTR. However, this may cause problems if your computer is missing certain DLL files. In that case, you can solve the problem by installing the missing DirectX files using the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
- Incompatible graphics settings: If you’ve changed LOTRO’s graphics settings before the first launch of the game, it’s possible that the settings cause the game to crash. If this is the case, you can fix the problem by resetting LOTRO’s graphics settings in the Launcher Options menu.
- Windows 10 incompatibility: it turns out that this problem occurs because a new window in Windows 10 has made this old game incompatible. A quick fix that will get you around this problem is to force the main game executable to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
Here’s how to fix the problem of LOTRO not running on Windows 10
Using compatibility mode with previous versions of Windows
The simplest and easiest solution to this problem is to run the game in compatibility mode with earlier versions of Windows. Running the program in compatibility mode solves many problems, including the inability to run LOTRO on Windows 10. However, if you can’t do that, we’re here to help you.
- Head to the location of this file: (C: Lord of the Rings program files online).
- Once you have reached this location, right-click on “lotroclient.exe” and select “Properties”.
- Now that you are in the properties menu, click on the “Compatibility” tab and check the “Run this program in compatibility mode” box.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK”.
Run the game with administrator privileges
If the above solution didn’t work for you, this may be the solution.
Depending on your account settings, the main LOTRO launcher may not be able to update the game to the latest version due to a lack of administrator access. If this is a problem, the solution is given below.
- Close the game if it is running in the background.
- Click [Windows+E] -> Find game file -> Go to properties in the drop-down menu.
- In the Properties menu, click the “Compatibility” tab, then find the “Settings” menu and check the “Run this program as an administrator” box.
- Finally, click “Apply” and “OK”. Enjoy your game without interruption.
Installing missing DirectX files
- In your browser, go to the download page of the DirectX installer for end users.
- Now click on the download button. Wait for the process to start.
- In the next window, uncheck any bloatware provided by Microsoft by clicking No thanks and go to the web install DirectX for end-users option.
- Now, wait for dxwebsetup.exe to load. After that, double-click on it and install it.
- This will help you and install any missing DirectX packages after scanning your system. A reboot is required to complete this process.
- After rebooting the system, run LOTRO and check if the problem remains.
Resetting the graphical settings of LOTRO
- You will need to access the LOTRO graphics settings from the start menu.
- Click on the down arrow. Then tap the options. Finally, click on the Restore button.
- Now click on Charts in the open menu and select the Restore Charts option before clicking the Accept button to save the changes you made.
- Now run LOTRO and see if the problem persists.
Frequently Asked Questions
Open the Windows Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+ESC or by right-clicking on the clock in the lower right corner of the Windows screen and selecting "Task Manager. Scroll down and right-click on all processes related to EVE Online and select "End Task". Then try restarting the launcher.
You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the game to see if that solves the problem. You can also check in the task manager if the game is running.
If nothing happens when you click "Play" on Steam, the problem may be due to missing components or installation files for the game.
- Update Chrome. Videos and games sometimes require the latest version of Chrome.
- Reset your Internet connection. Your Internet network may be causing problems with your video or game.
- Check your cache and cookies.