RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Smart Compose is a new feature in Gmail that includes autocomplete suggestions for faster typing.
When you type an address in the To, Cc, or Bcc field of a message you’re composing, Gmail suggests addresses from your contact list. Press Enter to select the name at the top of the list, or scroll down to select another address. If Gmail doesn’t suggest the address you want, continue typing.
Gmail suggests the addresses you send mail to most often first. To see a complete list of your most-sent contacts, click Gmail in the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then select Contacts. Then click ‘Most Contacted People’.
Configure Gmail to Automatically Add Contacts for Auto-Complete
- Some users may need to adjust the auto-type settings so that contacts are automatically generated when they send Gmail emails. To do this, open the Gmail web application.
- Click Settings and select Settings from the menu to open the General tab.
- Then, on the General tab, scroll down to Create contacts for auto-fill.
- Then select the button When I send a message to a new person, add it to other contacts so that I can auto-fill it the next time I send it.
- Press the “Save Changes” button to apply the new settings. Gmail now automatically adds suggested contacts for auto-completion.
Edit Gmail’s Auto-complete Suggestion List
The key to deleting or changing an email address is to edit the underlying contact record. You can do this by :
- Delete the contact record
- Delete a contact’s email address
- Change or add a contact’s email address
From now on, when you compose and send a message by e-mail and start typing in the “To:” field, your changes must be taken into account. You will not see an entry for Jane Doe in auto-completion.
Deleting the Google contact doesn’t delete the correspondence.
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.