Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
USB mass storage devices are a useful tool for storing or transferring large amounts of data between computers. The “Eject USB Mass Storage Device Problem” problem occurs on USB drives (USB stick, external hard disk, USB stick, pen, etc.) on the Windows computer when you click on the “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the lower right corner. The error message will be different depending on the systems:
- This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might use the device, then try again.
- Windows cannot shut down your generic volume device because it is being used. Close any programs or windows that may use the unit and try again later.
- The’Generic Volume’ device cannot be turned off at this time. Try to turn the unit off again later.
- Windows cannot stop the USB SCSI mass storage device (UAS). Do not remove this device while it is still in use. Close all programs that use this device, then delete it.
Check the background applications
- If the error occurs, close the dialog box.
- In the Windows search bar, type System Event and open system event logs.
- Under “Administrative Event Summary”, expand Errors or Warnings and search for EventID 225.
- There you should find out which exact application the USB mass storage device is using and complete its process in the Task Manager.
Executing System File Check (SFC)
- Press Windows + X and click on the command prompt (admin).
- Type the following command at the command prompt and press Enter.
The System File Checker is a Windows utility that allows users to check Windows system files for errors and recover corrupted files.
Log out and log in
When you log out of your account, all files and programs you have opened are closed, including everything on the external disk. But it’s boring and it takes time. You must save and close all your open files.
And after you reconnect, you’ll have to reopen everything.
Besides, it might not work. If another user account is running on this machine, it can only be a hold on an external disk.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.