RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
When you backup your BitLocker recovery key to your Microsoft account, the recovery key is stored online on your OneDrive so that you can get it if it is locked on the encrypted disk. This article shows you how to remove a BitLocker recovery key from your OneDrive after saving it to your Microsoft account under Windows 10.
A BitLocker Recovery Key is a special key that you can create when you enable Bitlocker Drive Encryption for the first time on each disk you encrypt. You can use the recovery key to access your BitLocker encrypted disks.
This tutorial shows you how to delete a BitLocker recovery key saved on your OneDrive after it has been registered in your Microsoft account under Windows 10.
- Click on the link below to access the BitLocker Recovery Keys page on your Microsoft OneDrive online account page and log in if you have not already done so.
- Click on the name of the computer or removable disk – BitLocker To Go, where the recovery keys were stored to view them.
- Click on the Delete link to the right of the restoration key you want to delete from your OneDrive.
- If you delete all registered recovery keys from a computer, the computer name will also be deleted.
- Click on the Delete button to confirm.
If you do not have keys stored on Microsoft servers, the message “You do not have BitLocker recovery keys in your Microsoft account” appears.
If you have stored recovery keys on Microsoft servers, you will see one or more recovery keys here. Click on the name of your computer, then click on the “Delete” link that appears to delete your recovery key from Microsoft servers.
Warning: Write down this recovery key or print it and keep it in a safe place before deleting it! You will need the recovery key if you ever need to access your encrypted files again.
This allows you to remove the BitLocker recovery key from the Microsoft account (OneDrive) in Windows 10.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.