RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Discord overlay is an essential and useful tool that allows you to use certain Discord functions during the game. If you allow overlaying, you can chat, answer calls for discrepancies, join groups, and also customize your game interface in different ways.
Apart from that, Discord Overlay can certainly be distracting and overwhelming, especially if you use it in games where you don’t want it. Fortunately, there is a way to turn it off or select specific games to display it.
This guide explains how to disable and enable overlay and how to deal with some of the problems associated with overlay.
Disable Discord Overlay
You can activate or deactivate Discord Overlay at any time with a few clicks. Just follow these steps:
- Open your application on Discord.
- If the application does not start automatically, double-click the application in the taskbar. It is located at the bottom right of the page.
- Click on the “User Settings” icon at the bottom of the window. This is the gear icon next to your user name.
- Select “Overlay” from the menu on the left. It can be found in the “Application Preferences” section.
- Deactivate the “Enable Overlay in Set” option.
If this option is disabled, it means that in-game overlay is already disabled in your Discord. If you disable this option, the overlay will disappear in all games.
Disable Discord Overlay from a Specific Game
This method is intended for players who want to use overlay in some games, but want to disable overlay in other specific games.
- You must first open your Discord application.
- Once the application is open, click on the user settings (gear icon) next to your username.
- Now select Overlay from the left menu under the Application Settings section.
- Activate the Enable Overlay in Set option.
- Then click on the Games tab.
- Select the specific game for which you want to disable in-game overlay.
- Disable Overlay.
Discord really offers all the settings that gamers in particular expect from a VoIP application. Make sure your overlay is as clean and unobtrusive as possible while displaying all the information you need to keep track of your team.
The solutions we’ve presented in this guide have already worked for other users and will work for you as well.
You can leave us a comment in the next section to tell us which solution worked for you. Please feel free to share your thoughts with us if you have any questions or comments.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.