Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
After months of beta testing, Reddit finally introduced two-factor authentication (2FA) for all users.
Depending on the subreddits you use frequently, Reddit may be a threat to your mental health – but it doesn’t have to be a threat to your computer security. After months of beta testing, Reddit has finally introduced two-factor authentication (2FA) for all users.
While securing your Reddit account is not as important as securing your bank account, it’s not a bad idea to give your account extra protection, especially if you frequently use the discussion forum.
Two-factor support applies to desktop, mobile, and third-party applications. An authentication application (Google Authenticator, Authy, or any other application that supports the TOTP protocol) is required to generate your 6-digit verification code.
How to Enable Two-factor Authentication on Reddit
To set up two-factor authentication in Reddit, you must first log in to your Reddit account and start the two-factor authentication setup.
- Use the navigation menu in the upper right corner to access the User Preferences page.
- Click on “Privacy and Security”.
- Select “Two-factor authentication”.
- Click the “click to activate” button.
- Confirm that your email address is correct.
- Enter your password and click “Next”.
- You will see the QR code with the secret key.
- You can now scan it with your authentication application (Google Authenticator, Protectimus Smart, Authy, etc.) or add it to your Protectimus Slim NFC hardware security token.
- After programming the hardware OTP token or registering a software token on your smartphone, enter a 6-digit one-time password in the appropriate field and click on “Enable Dual Factor”.
- You will then see a notification that the two-factor authentication has been successfully implemented.
Some practical security tips:
Choose a strong, unique password. We recommend at least 8 characters. And don’t use the same password on Reddit as on other websites!
Add a verified email address. Email is the only way for us to reset your account. (We need a verified email to set up two-factor authentication, as the account can be lost if you lose your phone, for example).
Check your account activity for recent logins. It’s a good idea to check this page from time to time to make sure nothing suspicious is going on.
It sounds a bit complicated, but it’s super easy and should only take a minute or two.
Once everything is set up, every time you log in to Reddit, you’ll also need to launch your Authenticator application and enter the six-digit code. The code changes from minute to minute, so it’s different every time you try to log in.
When you’re done, I recommend that you set up two-factor authentication for each account that allows it. Yes, this can make logging in to your accounts a little more tedious, but it also makes them much more secure.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.