RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
If you have a new Xbox One console and you’re now trying to customize the profile by changing the avatar, but you’re having problems? You’re not alone, as several users have reported similar problems on Microsoft’s community forum.
Perform a Factory Reset while Keeping your Games
You should use this option as your first choice for troubleshooting. It will reset the operating system and remove all potentially corrupted data without deleting your games or applications. This will prevent you from downloading or reinstalling large game files. In some cases, if a corrupted game file is the cause of the problem you want to fix, you may need to select Reset and Delete All, but you should always first Reset and Retain My Games and Applications, then save Reset and, as a last resort, Delete All.
If you haven’t already done so, we recommend that you perform a factory reset while keeping your games and updates by following these steps:
- Press the Xbox button to open the instructions.
- Select Settings.
- Select All Settings.
- Select System.
- Select Console Info & Updates.
- Select Reset Console.
Make sure you have your email address and password, as you will be prompted to log in again.
Perform a Power Cycle
- Some problems are of a temporary nature and can be solved by a rapid energy cycle.
- Go to the home screen and press the menu button on the controller.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Go to the Power and Startup section.
- Select “Disable Xbox” from the options.
- Select Yes to confirm.
- Wait until the console is turned off.
- Unplug the cable connected to the power outlet.
- Unplug the other cables connected to your Xbox.
- Wait a minute.
- Reconnect all cables one at a time.
- Turn on Xbox One and open the avatar editor. See if you can edit your avatar now.
To use the new Xbox One avatars
Once the latest version of Xbox One OS is installed, the redesigned Xbox Avatars application is automatically installed. Follow the steps below to access it on your console.
- Open My Games and Applications on your Xbox One.
- Navigate to the Apps tab.
- Select the Xbox Avatar Editor (avoid selecting the original Xbox avatars).
- Follow the on-screen steps to create your new avatar.
After launching the application, you will be guided through the editor with the new avatars on screen. There are a number of new customization options to explore, with an optional Avatar Store for purchasing additional items.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.