Last Updated on November 3, 2020
Updated July 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Every time you start Guild Wars 2, the client is the first to check for updates available for the game. If a newer version of the game is available, your client will automatically try to download and update (i.e. “patch”) the game to the latest version. This allows you to always play with the latest changes and features, and avoid many other problems that may occur when playing with an outdated client.
In rare cases you may encounter a problem that prevents your client from downloading or applying the latest game files. These errors can prevent you from playing the game, so we have developed several solutions to help you solve these problems. Read more about these fixes and additional resources to help you solve the bugs.
The “Connection Error Detected” problem occurs on Windows users when they try to open Guild Wars Starter in normal or recovery mode. It is confirmed that the problem occurs in Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Try Google DNS
If you use Google Public DNS, switch the “standard” DNS of your provider to Google Public DNS.
In most cases, the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) will automatically configure your system to use the IP addresses of your provider’s name servers. To use Google Public DNS, you must explicitly change the DNS settings of your operating system or device to use Google Public DNS IP addresses. The process of changing the DNS settings depends on your operating system and version (Windows, Mac, Linux or Chrome OS) or device (computer, phone or router). We provide general procedures here that may not apply to your operating system or device; please refer to the supplier’s documentation for reliable information.
Depending on your system, you may also have the option to enable a new privacy feature called DNS-over-TLS. This feature ensures the confidentiality and security of DNS messages sent between your device and Google DNS servers. For more information on how to configure this additional feature, see the System-specific sections.
Google Public DNS IP addresses
Google’s public DNS (IPv4) IP addresses look like this:
The IPv6 addresses of Google Public DNS look like this:
You can use the address as a primary or secondary DNS server.
Scan and repair game archives
For Guild Wars 2 the game archive should work correctly. These archives are important files that contain various instructions. Damaged or absent game archives cause various problems, such as shutdowns, failures and others. If you encounter an error, the first step is to check and recover the archive. Here is how to do it:
- Use the Windows+E shortcut to run file explorer.
- In the left pane click This PC and navigate to the file Gw2.exe in the folder Guild Wars 2. You can find this file using the search function after you open this PC.
- Once you have found the executable file, right-click on it and select Create Shortcut from the context menu.
- Change the name of the shortcut to Restore Guild of Wars 2.
- Now right-click the shortcut (Repair Guild Wars 2), and then click Properties.
- Go to the Target text box and add -repair to the finish line.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Double-click the shortcut to start the automatic repair process. When the repair is complete, the game will open. Check to see if the error will happen again.
- You can save a short path for future checks and repairs. You can create another shortcut to start the game, because the repair shortcut always performs repairs before you start the game.
Unlocking the installer of the War Guild 2
It turns out that this error can occur when trying to install an older version of Guild Wars 2, which was downloaded from a third-party source (not from the official download site). If this script is correct, the problem may occur because the installation file (Gw2Setup.exe) is locked by default and the process may fail.
Some interested users experiencing the same problem confirmed that the problem has been solved by renaming the installation file, going to the properties menu and unlocking the file.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.