Updated July 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
When you try to encrypt or decrypt a file using the default EFS engine, an unexpected error prevents you from applying properties to the file. If you continue to receive the error, you can use the error code to seek help on this issue. Error 0x80071771, The specified file could not be decrypted, so this message may help you.
This problem is likely to occur if the files have been encrypted using the file encryption system (EFS). It is an encryption tool integrated into Windows that is used to encrypt files and folders to protect them from unwanted access. In order to solve your file access problem, we recommend that you use certain decryption methods. Before you can do this, you must have all the necessary privileges to access the system files.
Set your hard disk to full control.
To set the permission of your hard disk to full control, read these steps:
- Right-click on the drive letter on your hard disk drive and go to Properties.
- Go to Security > Edit > Add.
- In the Enter names of objects to select (examples) section, type Everyone, then click OK.
- Click on All, then under Permissions for All, check the options under Allow.
- Click Apply, then click OK.
- Go back to the Security tab, then click Advanced.
- Click the Edit button on the Authorizations tab, type All, then click O.
Importing the certificate and EFS file encryption key into Windows 10
The only way to open an encrypted file (EFS file) on another computer is to import it with the certificate and key. Any individual application that does not have the appropriate file encryption key cannot open it.
Application of decryption steps
- Simply right-click on the folder or file that displays error 0x80071771 “The specified file could not be decrypted”.
- Now select the Properties option.
- Go to the General tab > select Advanced.
- To save the data option, clear the Encrypt Content check box and click the OK button.
- To apply the changes, click the Next button and click OK.
It seems that you have replaced your hard disk, installed Windows on a new hard disk, attached the old hard disk and started the new hard disk with the intention of copying your data to the new hard disk.
If that’s the case:
You must start Windows from the original disk, log in with your original username and password, and then decrypt the files.
That’s what it is. That’s what it is. I hope you have succeeded in correcting the error “The specified file could not be decrypted” with an error code 0x80071771. If you still have trouble opening your files, let us know and we will try to help you.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.