RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
By clicking on the Fallout 4 icon, you will want to start playing the game immediately. So a long download can ruin your patience and mood of the game, which is not at all pleasant. Don’t worry, there are a few tips to help reduce waiting time and improve the gameplay.
Why does Fallout 4 take so long to load?
Fallout 4 is an RPG released on November 10, 2015. It is available for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Players must survive by growing food and building water pumps. They can also build various protection (such as towers and traps) around their settlements to protect against accidental attacks.
Since its release, this game has received many positive reviews from critics. However, some gamers complain about a few bugs and glitches in the game on Windows 10. The problem of slow boot Fallout 4 is one of them.
This problem occurs for users around the world. Why does Fallout 4 take so long to boot? Here are a few possible reasons.
- Full-screen mode
- Incorrect frame settings per second
- Synchronization in the cloud
- Vertical synchronization
- Damaged or outdated video card driver
- Outdated game or system
- Slow access to hard drive
Change Fallout 4 Settings
To fix a very long download time, you can change local files to solve this problem.
1) Get access to local Fallout 4 files.
2) Open the Fallout4Prefs.ini file.
3) Enter the following words in the “General” section.
(If it already exists, just change the value).
iNumHWThreads = X.
External Cell Buffer = 64
Note. X is the number of cores of your processor (not including hyperthreading). You can experiment with other numbers.
Transferring Fallout 4 to SSD
Before moving on to other technical solutions, we recommend moving Fallout 4 to SSD. As mentioned earlier, the read/write time of a regular hard disk drive is much shorter than that of an SSD. You may encounter slower boot times in Fallout 4 due to insufficient speed.
Here you can try to move existing game files to the SSD or load Steam to this SSD and then install Fallout 4 from scratch. We recommend you to do the latter, as it will help you to fix installation problems in the game.
Disable Steam Cloud Sync
Some users also reported that turning off cloud synchronization for Fallout 4 seems to solve this problem. So, here is how you can try this method:
- Open the Steam client and go to your game library.
- From there right-click on the Fallout 4 game and choose from the Properties menu.
- Now go to the Updates tab
- Finally, uncheck the Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for Fallout 4 in Steam Cloud section.
- Click the “Close” button and open Fallout 4. Hopefully, this will fix the slow download.
Vertical synchronization (Vsync) allows users to synchronize the frame rate at which the game is running with the monitor refresh rate. This leads to better stability and better graphics in the game, a feature already built into the game settings in Fallout 4. Although it looks cool and useful, it is known to cause several problems. We will turn off vsync and see if it changes.
In this solution we will move on to the game settings and disable this option.
- Run Fallout 4 and click on “Settings” in the main menu.
- Now click on “Video” and select “Graphics”.
- In the Graphics options, press VSync and uncheck the box.
- Note. Here you can also change other graphics options if that does not work.
Save your changes and exit. Restart Fallout 4 and see if the problem has been solved.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.