RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Network Discovery is a network tool that allows you to establish communication between devices in the same network. With Network Discovery, you can easily share files and printers. However, users have reported that they have encountered network discovery problems by accident or as a result of a major update.
If Network Discovery does not work on Windows 10, this may be due to several problems reported by users. Some users have also suggested methods that can be used to solve the problem, and we have decided to include them in our article. Be sure to check below and hopefully solve the problem.
Bug fixing: Network discovery does not work on Windows 10
Configure the Windows firewall to allow network discovery.
To do this, proceed as follows:
- Open the Control Panel, click System and Security, then Windows Firewall.
- In the left pane, click Allow an application or feature via the Windows firewall if you are using Windows 10 or Server 2012. Or, click Allow a program or feature via the Windows firewall if you are using Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Click on Change Settings. If you are prompted to enter an administrator password or confirmation, enter the password or type the confirmation.
- Select Network Discovery, then click OK.
- Configure other firewalls on the network to enable the Network Discovery feature.
- Enable network discovery in the Network and Sharing Center.
Updating the network adapter driver
Press Win+R to open the Run field and enter the command devmgmt.msc. Press Enter to open the Device Manager window.
- Expand and update the list of network drivers.
- If this does not work, uninstall the same drivers and restart the system. The system reinstalls the drivers.
- Another suggestion is to download and install the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Use the command prompt to enable network discovery.
- Click on Start, then type CMD in the search bar.
- In the search results, right-click on Command prompt.
- Select Run as administrator
- At the prompt that appears, type : netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”Network Discovery” new enable=Yes
- Press the Enter key. This activates the Network Discovery function.
- To disable network discovery for all your network profiles, return to the high prompt and type: netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group=”Network Discovery” new enable=No then press
- Enter and close the window.
Network Discovery is a Windows feature that allows you to view other computers connected to your network. This function allows you to browse files/folders on other computers. Let us know in the comments below if this guide has helped you solve your network discovery problems.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.