Last Updated on June 2, 2020
Updated July 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
- Download and install the repair tool here.
- Let it scan your computer.
- The tool will then repair your computer.
Not downloading the Outlook address book is often a problem encountered by many users, and it occurs because the BITS queue is full.
If Microsoft Outlook is set to Cached Exchange mode and you open the address book, the Global Address List (GAL) is not displayed by default. Instead, another address list such as “All Users” is displayed and the GAL must be manually selected in the Show this Address List as First Address Book option when opening the Address Book.
You may also receive an error message similar to the following error in a sync log message when you try to download the Address Book offline (OAB) :
Microsoft Exchange offline address book Not downloading Offline address book files. A server (URL) could not be located 0X80004005
In case you cannot download the OAB, you will find the following event in the application’s event log.
Source: Outlook Event ID: 27 Description: The operation failed.
Make sure the Global Address List (GAL) is up to date.
Make sure the LAG is up to date. To do this, make sure you can view changes in LAG via the Microsoft Outlook web application. If the expected changes are not available in LAG, the changes are not reflected in the offline address book.
NOTE: If you make changes to your local Active Directory schema, but the Microsoft Azure Active Directory synchronization tool still does not synchronize these changes properly, visit this Microsoft Web site to continue troubleshooting :
If the Online Address Book is correct, but the Offline Address Book is still not correct, proceed to the next step.
Rename the Outlook Address Book Folder
- Renaming the Outlook address book will update the OAB files, which is another possible resolution. Open the file explorer with Windows + E-Hotkey.
- Open this folder path in the File Explorer: C:\User\%User Name%\AppData\Local\MicrosoftOutlook.
- Then right-click the Offline Address Book folder and select the Rename option.
- Change the folder title to : Offline Address Book.old.
- Then click on the Send/Receive tab from Outlook and select the Update Folder option.
Install the latest updates for Office and Office 365 Desktop
Make sure you have installed the latest Service Pack for Microsoft Office.
NOTE: If you are using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, you must have at least Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 1 installed on your computer.
If you are using Office 2007 or Office 2010, make sure you have the latest version of the Office 365 installer installed. To do this, log in to the Office 365 portal, select Download the software, and then click Desktop Configuration.
Updating the Offline Address Book manually
- First try updating the address book manually offline. To do so, click the Send/Receive tab in Outlook 2010-16.
- Then click Send/Receive and click the Download Address Book option.
- In the Offline Address Book window, select the Download changes since last sending/receiving option.
- Select Global Offline Address List from the drop-down menu and press the OK button.
Verify that the Cache Exchange mode is enabled.
- The Exchange Cache mode must be enabled for the Exchange Server. To verify this, click on the File tab in Outlook.
- In Outlook, double-click on Account Settings.
- Then click on Edit in the Account Settings window.
- Select the Use Cached Exchange Mode setting shown directly below if it is not already activated. Outlook Cached Exchange Mode cannot download the Offline Address Book option.
- Then restart Outlook.
Outlook Web Access provides a set of useful tools for your business, including the global address book to store all your contact information in one convenient place. If you want to back up your address book or view it offline, you can download it using Outlook Web Access.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.