RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Windows users have been asking us questions since they couldn’t update their machines using the latest version of Windows Update. It turns out that every time they try to find new updates, they see an error code 8024001B with the message “There was a problem checking for updates”. This error occurs before the end of the analysis, so users never see which updates need to be installed. In most cases, this problem occurs under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
What are the causes of Update Error 8024001B in Windows?
We investigated this issue by examining various user reports and testing various repair strategies recommended by other users who have already been able to understand and resolve the problem. After this analysis, we can conclude that there are several reasons for this behaviour. Here is a short list of potential causes:
- WU glitchy component
- Corruption of files in the system
- Uncertain interferences
How to Fix Windows Update Error 8024001B?
Rename the cache folder.
Enter the following and press Enter after each line:
net stop wuauserv ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.OLD net start wuauserv exit
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Launch the Windows Update Troubleshooter troubleshooting tool after downloading it.
- Click on the “Advanced” link below, then click on the “Run as administrator” link. This will restart the diagnostic tool with administrator rights.
- Now click Next and the tool will start troubleshooting any Windows Update issues that are present on your system.
- Once he finds the problem, he will show you 2 buttons: Apply the patch and skip the patch. You can click on the Apply this patch button to fix the problem immediately. If you don’t think the problem the tool found is important or you don’t want to fix it, you can click on the Skip this patch button and the tool will continue the troubleshooting process.
- Once it detects and corrects all problems on your system, it displays a summary of all problems that have been verified and found on your system.
That’s for you. You can now use Windows Update again on your computer system without any problems.
Checking Windows firewall settings
1. Press and hold Windows + R. The Start dialog box appears.
2. Enter Firewall.cpl and click OK.
3. click on the “Enable or disable Windows firewall” button.
4. In the private network settings, select “Disable Windows firewall (not recommended)”.
5. The same applies to the establishment of a public network.
6. Click on OK.
Note: Once the problem is solved, you must activate the Windows firewall.
Reset WU component
Another fairly common scenario that can lead to an 8024001B error is the inadequacy of the WU (Windows Update) which prevents the computer from finding and installing new updates.
We have seen this behavior in some affected users and in the vast majority of cases they have managed to get rid of it by removing all the components and dependencies associated with this process.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.