RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
If you try to run an Adobe CS6 or CS5 application (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.) on OS X Yosemite or later, you will most likely encounter a problem. After double-clicking on some Adobe applications, a message will appear informing you that you need to install the old Java SE 6 runtime environment to open the application.
In addition to the Adobe CS5 and CS6 software packages, other applications require the Java SE 6 runtime (Eclipse, PDF Studio 9, FileMaker Pro Advanced, Patch Tool, Dreamweaver, and even the popular Minecraft game).
This problem occurs because these applications (Adobe CS5, CS5, etc.) are based on Java 6. Mac OS X Yosemite (and later versions) have a newer version of Java Runtime (SE 8.0). However, the Java Runtime is not backwards compatible. Thus, even if the operating system has installed Java Runtime 8, NO application that relies on Java Runtime 6 will work. Learn how to get Java 6 on your Mac.
Installing Java SE 6 from Apple
- If the “More info” link doesn’t work, try this.
- Start the Adobe application or any other application that caused the error.
- Wait for the error to occur.
- Click the “More Information” link in the error window.
- This will open the Apple Support website.
- This page provides instructions for downloading and installing Java Se 6 on your Mac.
- After downloading the installer, double-click the .dmg file to launch the installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Installing Java SE 6 Manually
- Open the Apple support page to download the Java SE 6 installer.
- Click the “Download” button to download the installer.
- You can also download the file directly from here.
- When the download is complete, click the download icon on the Dock to open the download folder.
- Double-click the JavaforOS.dmg file to open the folder.
- Double-click the JavaforOSX.pkg file to launch the installer.
- Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions to successfully install Java SE 6.
- Try to open the problematic application and see if the Java SE6 error is resolved.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.