RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Microsoft has released a major update this week for the Your Phone Companion for Android application, which offers the ability to synchronize mobile data. You no longer need to be connected to Wi-Fi to synchronize your photos, messages and notifications with your smartphone’s Windows 10 application.
The feature is now available with version 3.8.4 of the Your Phone Companion application. To start, you must go to the “Synchronize via mobile data” section in the application settings. Enable this function and your phone will be synchronized with your phone on your PC without being connected to Wi-Fi.
This update also brings a new icon. Like other updates of Microsoft icons, the Your Phone Companion application is inspired by the Microsoft aesthetics developed last year for its Office applications.
Synchronization via mobile data – your mobile companion for Android
- First make sure that the Your Phone for Windows 10 application (preinstalled) and the Android Your Phone Companion application are installed on your respective devices. Second, use the same Microsoft account to connect to both applications.
- When you have made all the settings, the Windows 10 application sends a notification to your paired phone asking you if the application is allowed to synchronize the data.
- Select Allow in the notifications themselves.
- In the Android application, select the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- Select Synchronize via mobile data.
It will take you to a new page where you only have one option to change. The name of this option is Sync over mobile data. Turn it on.
Note that features such as notification synchronization still only work for users with Microsoft Windows 10 Insider builds. Although this update allows normal users to synchronize photos and text messages via mobile data, there is still no synchronization of notifications. The same applies to mirroring the screen.
If you would like to register for Windows 10 Insider versions and try these new features, you can do so here. Note, however, that internal builds can be unstable and can lead to unexpected crashes that can cause important data to be lost.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.