RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
We will show you how to view an RPT file that you have found on your computer or that you have received as an attachment to an email, and what it is for.
What is an RPT file?
An RPT file extension file is most likely a kind of report file, but knowing how to open it depends on the program that uses it, as various applications can use reports with the.RPT extension.
For example, some RPT files are Crystal Reports files created with the SAP Crystal Reports program. These reports can contain data from a variety of databases that are most likely fully sortable and interactive in Crystal Reports software.
Another report file format that uses the RPT suffix is the AccountEdge report file created with AccountEdge Pro software. These reports can have anything to do with accounting and payroll, sales and warehousing.
Other RPT files can only be text files that are accepted in a variety of reporting applications.
To open an RPT file under Windows 10:
Since most RPT files are stored in text format, most files can be opened with a text editor such as Microsoft Notepad or Apple TextEdit. If the RPT file is saved in a proprietary format, you will most likely have to use the program that created the file to open it.
On Windows 10, if you do not use the appropriate software to open an RPT file, you will receive a message that says: “How do you want to open this file? Windows 10 cannot open this file”.
There are three main cases in which RPT files are created.
- Crystal Reports (a corporate reporting program): Some RPT files are created by this program. These reports can contain data from various databases and are most likely fully sortable and interactive in this software.
- AccountEdge Pro (an enterprise accounting management program): Another report file format that uses the RPT file extension is the AccountEdge report file created with this program.
- These files can cover all areas, from accounting and payroll to sales and inventory.
- Other RPT files can be plain text files supported by a variety of reporting applications.
APPLICATIONS THAT OPEN AN.RPT FILE
- Crystal Reports Versions 6 and 8
- Visual Studio/ASP.NET
- Flexera installation plate
Be careful not to rename the extension to.rpt or other files. This will not change the file type. Only special conversion software can change a file from one file type to another.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.