RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
The main cause of the error 0x80070424 is related to the virus. The error code 0x80070424 (or 0x80070422) occurs when you try to activate the Windows firewall, or Defender usually indicates the presence of a Trojan / rootkit on a Windows 7/Vista 64-bit.
The key to solving this problem is first to run an antivirus to remove the infection. Some viruses like rootkits are a little more difficult to remove, but it is possible. Viruses can leave residues that can still cause problems, such as the inability to activate or configure the firewall or other security applications. Once the virus is gone, work to solve the other problems it has caused.
First look for viruses and other malware. If you do not currently have an antivirus application, try Microsoft Security Essentials here. There is also a new tool, Windows Defender Offline Beta, you download the tool, burn a CD and boot from it, this tool searches for malware that is loaded as soon as you start your computer.
Enable the required services
1. Enter services.msc in the search field of the RUN or Start menu and press Enter. The Service Manager opens.
2. Now make sure that the following services are set to Automatic and running:
- Automatic updates OR Windows updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
If any or all of the above services do not work or are not set to Automatic, double-click the service, set its start type to Automatic in the drop-down list, apply the changes and click the Start button to start it immediately.
3. restart Windows and this should solve the problem.
Reinstalling the Windows firewall and filtering engine
If the underlying cause of error 0x80070424 is corruption of the service file of the basic filtering engine, the best way to fix it is to download the firewall and save the file to a reliable website. Once you have downloaded it, extract the zip file to your desktop.
- Double click on both files one by one to confirm their installation on your PC. Once installed, restart your PC and click on start button. Search file type and run and then press enter.
- When the Run window opens, type REGEDIT and click OK. After that, from the left sidebar navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE.
- Now simply right click on BFE folder and choose permission. Once that’s done, click on add button and type everyone then press OK to confirm settings. Here you will see the ‘everyone’ added field.
- After that in the below permission panel, tick the box that says Full Control and confirm. Now close the window and go to menu and type services msc.
The service window opens. In the list, search for the file ‘Base Filtering engine file’ with the right mouse button. Now search for the Windows Firewall and see if you can change the settings. This procedure will most likely correct the error code 0x80070424 on your PC. It takes time, but it’s worth it.
Running Windows Update troubleshooting
To solve any problem related to updating Windows, the first practical method is to troubleshoot the Windows update. This is the most common bypass solution. Proceed as follows:
Step 1: Type Troubleshoot in the search bar and click on Troubleshoot in the search results.
Step 2: Locate Windows Update and click on it.
Step 3. Click on Perform troubleshooting. Troubleshooting automatically detects and resolves update problems.
Once your system is cleaned, you should run a complete scan with a reliable antivirus program and install Windows security updates. It is also a good idea to restart rootkit removal tools after a restart to ensure that they have not found the same problem and that they can successfully resolve it.
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.