RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
If you are a company that works with email, chances are you have blocked tons of important emails in your inbox. So what can you do if one day you want to export them to save them or import them into another email account? The most likely answer is a file format called EML.
You can download a Gmail message as a text file quite easily, and that’s enough if you just want to read it in a text editor or word processor. However, if you want to open it in another email client, you may need to save it in another format – an EML file.
So why would you want to download messages? One of the reasons is to support it. Another is to share them with someone else instead of transmitting original messages. Whatever the reason, Gmail simplifies the process.
Open Google Mail in your browser. Open the email you want to save offline and click on the small arrow next to the Reply button. From the menu, select Show Original.
This will open the message in a new window. In this new window, you will see the Download Original button. This opens a Save As dialog box in your browser and the default extension where it is saved is TXT. You do not want to register it with the TXT extension. Change it to EML and change it from the drop-down list of the file type of text files to all files. Save the file.
The download will take a few seconds. After downloading the file, you can import it into any email client or save it to your hard drive or external drive.
Reasons to export Gmail messages to EML:
There is a specific reason why the user wants to convert Gmail emails to EML file format.
- If the user uses Google to perform all email tasks. Of course, the user can access the e-mail stored in the mailbox free of charge. Nowadays, the fear of mail hacking is perceptible to everyone.
- To solve these problems, it is important to save important emails. Converting to EML therefore ensures the security of e-mails, as they are accessible to many e-mail clients. It keeps the email in a clearly defined way without losing information. This is also the reason why users want to migrate Gmail emails to the EML file extension.
- EML files are easily accessible for different email clients such as Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc. The file has its own way of storing important emails. That’s why users choose to migrate Gmail messages to the EML file format.
- If the Internet connection is not established, EML files can be retrieved using various e-mail programs. Continuous access to Google email without the Internet is also a problem, so experts recommend exporting Gmail messages to EML.
Outlook 2013 stores all emails in a proprietary file format called PST. A PST is essentially a collection of all the folders in your inbox and the emails stored in them. Unfortunately, there is no direct way to export Outlook 2013 emails to an.eml file. You can open a single email, save it as a.msg file, then convert it to.eml using free tools. However, we recommend another way. With the software called PST Extractor Pro, you can export several emails from Outlook to EML at the same time. The software license starts at $29 and we think it’s worth every penny. All you have to do is find the PST file, select the emails you want to export, and it’s done.
You can use this method if your Thunderbird email account is configured as a client.
(This manual uses Thunderbird for Mac version 60.4.0 64-bit)
- Open Thunderbird.
- Click on the email message you wish to download.
- Click on File. Then, from the drop-down menu, click Save As > File.
- Make sure that Format is set to All files. Then click on Save.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.