RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
YouTube’s dark mode allows you to switch from the bright white light of the standard application or website to a deep black that is pleasing to your eyes – especially in a dark room.
The dark mode is a relatively new addition to YouTube. It was introduced in 2017 for desktop browsers, debuted on iOS (iPhone and iPad) in March 2018 and landed on Android devices in July 2018.
What is YouTube’s Dark Mode?
YouTube dark mode is simply a feature added by YouTube that allows users to change the YouTube background from white to black. Also known as “night mode”, the dark mode is especially nice in a dark room or for those who prefer something simpler for their eyes.
How to enable dark mode on the desktop
While many people nowadays like to watch streaming videos on their mobile phones, there are still some – like me – who like to watch videos on their laptops every day during their lunch break (especially cute animals doing weird things).
- On the YouTube desktop site, click on your profile icon in the upper right corner of the page. Click on the Dark Theme option in the menu.
- If you are not logged in, click the menu button instead (it looks like three vertical dots). You will find the same “Dark Theme” option here.
- Activate the “Dark Theme” slider to activate the dark theme for YouTube. This setting only applies to your current web browser. Therefore, you need to enable the dark theme on every computer you use, as it won’t sync with your Google Account.
- To cancel this change, click the profile or menu button again, select ‘Dark theme’ and uncheck the slider.
To turn on dark mode in YouTube for iOS
- Tap the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Tap on Settings.
- Activate the dark mode.
To turn on dark mode for YouTube on Android
Finally, androids! (And this isn’t a “I saved for last” situation here – sorry, I’m from the iPhone team).
But anyway, I’m here for all of you androids.
- Open your YouTube application and select the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Browse and select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “General”.
- Click on the small grey circle next to ‘Dark Theme’.
If you have done this correctly, the circle should appear in blue and the dark mode should be activated.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.