Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
Updating the system is a necessary process when there are obvious errors and defects. However, the process can be interrupted by Windows 10 error code 0xa0000400. Regardless of which Windows 10 update tool you use to update your system, error 0xa0000400 can occur in 1809, 1803, or other versions of Windows 10.
What causes 0xA0000400?
- Common WU problem.
- Problem with a local WU component
- Damaged WU boot folder or disabled WU services.
- Damage to a system file associated with the operating system.
How to resolve problem 0xA0000400?
Performing Windows Update Troubleshooting
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “control.exe” in the dialog box text box and press Enter.
- The Control Panel window opens. In the search bar of this window, type “Troubleshooting” and press Enter.
- Click Troubleshooting, then System and Security in the new window.
- Then select Windows Update and click Troubleshoot Windows Update.
- Select the Apply repairs automatically checkbox and click Next.
- Now, wait for the troubleshooter to complete its analysis. If the troubleshooter detects any problems, it will suggest ways to fix them.
- Click Apply repair to complete the process.
Installing the repair
- Download the Windows 10 ISO file and save it to your desktop.
- Access the file.
- Locate the setup.exe file and double-click it to start the repair.
- Once the process is complete, open the advanced command line and try running the commands to see if this method solved your problem.
Installing the update manually
- Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website and find the update you want to install.
- To install the update, click the Download button for the update you want and wait for the process to complete.
- Once the file is successfully downloaded, open the file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
Update using the media creation tool
- Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and run the MediaCreationTool.exe file once the download is complete.
- In the first window that appears on the screen, select the Upgrade This PC Now option and click Next.
- Now, wait for the download to complete and check that the Windows update installs without errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Error code 0xA0000400 is reported by the update wizard (see screenshot below) and indicates that an error occurred during the installation of the Windows 10 update. It's noticeable that the error mostly affected 2016 users in the Windows 10 Education domain version 1607.
- Make sure that you meet the requirements.
- Remove the language pack.
- Unplug all devices from the network.
- Remove all third-party antivirus programs.
- Select the option to save files only when prompted to do so.
- Repair the BCD.
- Update with the installation media.
- Perform a clean installation.
There is a quick solution to fix this error, since this error is caused by Microsoft update utility, you can update Windows manually using Windows update directory to install the update that gives you this error code.