Last Updated on June 16, 2021
Updated June 2022: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
If you connect your cell phone to your computer and see the message “MTP USB Device Failed”, you are not alone. you are not alone. Many Windows users report this problem. Don’t worry, this problem can be solved. Here are some effective solutions you can try.
MTP is short for Media Transfer Protocol, which is supported by Andriod phones. If the MTP driver is not installed, you won’t be able to transfer media files to or from Android devices.
What causes an MTP USB device driver failure
MTP USB device crash is a common problem caused by the MTP USB device driver. It happens whenever you want to connect your Android device to your computer.
As you know, when you connect your Android device to your computer, Windows first installs the appropriate driver software for the Android device. In this case, it is the USB MTP device driver. In the image above, you can see that the device driver software was not successfully installed (MTP USB Device Failed occurs due to MTP USB device driver failure).
UAC can prevent certain device drivers from being installed on your computer. This could be the reason for the MTP USB device failure. In such a situation, you can use the command line to solve the problem.
USB MTP device failure can also be caused by incorrect registry settings. That is, when the registry settings are set in such a way that the external device cannot be detected and installed. Here’s how you can change the registry settings to correct the situation.
In this article, we will explain how you can fix MTP USB Device Failed/MTP USB Device Driver failed error. There is more than one solution. If you are not sure about the exact cause of this problem, you can try these solutions one by one until you find the right one.
How to resolve MTP USB Device driver failure
Obtaining administrator privileges from the command line
You may be having problems using MTP because you do not have administrator privileges on your computer. You can solve this problem by doing the following steps:
- Press Windows+S on your keyboard.
- Type “cmd” (without the quotes).
- In the output, right-click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as Administrator”.
- When prompted for Command Prompt permission, simply click Yes.
- When the Command Prompt opens, type the following command: net local group Administrators local service /add
- Press the Enter key.
- Now check to see if you can connect your device to your computer.
Install MTP Porting Kit
Some users have reported that installing the MTP porting kit helped them solve this problem. So it doesn’t hurt if you try to do the same thing. Here are the steps:
- Go to the official Microsoft website and download the MTP Porting Kit.
- Double click on the installation file to launch it.
- Use the USB cable to connect the device to your computer. Check to see if the error persists.
Tip: If the MTP Porting Kit was already installed on your PC, simply update it to make sure it works correctly.
Restoring registry settings
It is also possible that there are incorrect entries in your registry. So, one way to fix problems with the MTP USB Device driver in Windows 10 is to restore the problematic keys.
However, be sure to back up the registry before doing so. Don’t forget that this is a sensitive database. Even the smallest error can prevent your system from booting properly.
- Run the “Run” dialog box by pressing Windows+R on your keyboard.
- Now type “Regedit” (without the quotes) in the “Run” dialog box. Press the Enter key to continue.
- With the registry editor open, go to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control/Class.
- Press Ctrl+F on your keyboard, then search for Portable Devices.
- Switch to the right pane. Here you should see Portable Devices (the default).
- If you see UpperFilters, right-click on it. Select Remove from the options offered.
Expert Tip: This repair tool scans the repositories and replaces corrupt or missing files if none of these methods have worked. It works well in most cases where the problem is due to system corruption. This tool will also optimize your system to maximize performance. It can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Frequently Asked Questions
- While holding down the Windows key, press R.
- You can also press the Windows key and type Device Manager to find it.
- Expand Mobile Devices and find your device.
- Right-click on it and select Update driver software.
- Select Scan my computer for driver software.
First, make sure the device is set up to connect as a media device: Connect the device to your PC with the appropriate USB cable. Make sure the USB connection says "Connected as a media device. If it does not, click the message and select "Media Device (MTP).
In the "Find Drivers on Your Computer" window, select "Select from the list of device drivers on my computer". In the "Choose a device driver to install for this hardware" window, select "MTP USB device" and click "Next". Follow the wizard on the screen to complete the installation.
- Download the MPT (Media Transfer Protocol) Porting Kit from the official Microsoft website.
- Install it on your computer.
- Restart your computer.
- Connect your cell phone to your computer again with a USB cable.