Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
0x80070013 is another Windows 10 update error. After perusing the Microsoft forums and other online forums, it seems that this particular error is a very common problem that thousands of Windows 10 users have been experiencing lately. The bug appeared along with the Windows Anniversary Update, so it is a new bug, but fortunately, there is already a solution on how to fix it.
Very often such errors are caused by virus/malware infection, software, registries, startup programs, updates, and similar problems. In this case, error code 0x80070013 is caused by a driver. Two driver issues can prevent you from updating Windows 10: Either you are trying to install an existing driver, or it is not compatible with the hardware (or less compatible than the driver already installed on your system). Until you fix error 0x80070013, you won’t be able to update Windows.
What is the cause of Windows 10 Update error code 0x80070013?
- Corrupted files
- Internet access
- Windows registry
- Windows file system
- Viruses and malware
- Improper configuration
- Windows update service
How to resolve the Windows 10 Update error code 0x80070013?
Launch the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Press WinKey + I to open settings.
- Click Update and security > Troubleshooter.
- Switch to the right pane and click on – More Troubleshooting Tools.
- On the next screen, expand Windows Update and click Run Troubleshooter.
- This tool will then search for the root causes and fix them.
- After the troubleshooter completes, restart your computer and verify that you can now update your primary operating system.
Download and install pending updates manually
If the Windows update error persists, you can use the manual method. For each cumulative update released by Microsoft, a separate package is downloaded from the Update Catalog website.
Check the Microsoft Update Catalog and find the update that isn’t working on your device. If you find a suitable standalone package, download it and install it on your computer.
Check the status of all services related to the update
- Click on the Windows icon and type “Services.”
- Select the top result to launch the Windows Service Manager.
- Find the Windows Update service, right-click it, and select Properties.
- Check what’s under Startup Type. If this setting is disabled, change it to Manual.
- Click Apply and then OK to confirm your changes.
- Restart your computer and check if the error has been corrected.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Click the Start button and type "services.MSC".
- Open it in the search results.
- A new window will open with all the Windows services on your system.
- Then search for "Windows Update".
- Right-click on "Windows Update", then click "Stop".
- Try running Windows Update again.
- Unplug your devices and reboot.
- Check for free disk space.
- Use the Windows 10 troubleshooter.
- Stop Windows 10 updates.
- Manually delete the Windows update files.
- Manually download and install the latest update.
The error code 0x80070013 that you get from Windows 10 indicates that you are trying to install a driver on your computer that is already installed, or that you are installing a driver that is less compatible with your hardware than the one you already have.
If you're still having trouble updating or installing Windows 10, contact Microsoft Support. This could mean that an incompatible application installed on your computer is blocking the update process. Make sure that any incompatible apps are uninstalled, and then try the update again.