Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
The “Your account has been locked” error occurs when some Xbox One users try to log in to their console using their Microsoft account. The error message is accompanied by error code 0x80a40014. Affected users will not be able to access digitally owned games or retrieve saved game data from their accounts.
Which Causes the “Your Account Has Been Locked” Error (0x80a40014) on Xbox One
Microsoft TOR Violation: This particular error can occur when the Microsoft account owner has violated TOR. In most cases, aggressive player behavior, hacking, or phishing will cause Microsoft to suspend the account without warning. If this scenario applies, the only reasonable recovery strategy is to contact Microsoft support.
Local Problem: As confirmed by several affected users, this particular problem may also be caused by a locally saved cache file that causes the console operating system to believe that the current account is locked (even after fixing the problem). In this case, the problem can be solved by deleting the locally saved profile and turning on the device before restarting it.
Microsoft Server Problem: After investigating previous cases of this problem, you may see this error message due to a server-side issue that has caused entire blocks of Microsoft accounts to be blocked due to a false positive. In this case, you should confirm the problem and, if the problem is indeed related to central services, put the console in offline use mode (simple mode) until Microsoft technicians fix the problem.
Repeated failed login attempts: If the Microsoft account you use on your Xbox console has repeatedly failed to log in, Microsoft may have suspended your account for security reasons. In most cases, access is automatically restored after 24 hours. However, if this is not the case, you should contact support to resolve the problem.
Fixing the “Your Account Has Been Locked” Error 0x80a40014 on Xbox One
Confirm that the Xbox Live servers are online
Before we get to the other fixes, it should be noted that Microsoft may block multiple accounts giving false positives due to server issues. You can verify this by visiting the Microsoft Xbox Live status website.
If you see a problem, it means that it is out of your control. All you can do is wait for Microsoft to fix the server problem. While you wait for the problem to be fixed, you can still use your Xbox One by putting it in offline mode. In this mode, you won’t be able to enjoy multiplayer games, streaming, or accessing digital content.
Deleting the profile and power cycle
- Turn the console on and reopen the Guidance menu by pressing the Xbox button on the controller.
- Then go to Settings -> All Settings and press A.
- In the Settings menu, go to the Accounts tab and select Delete Accounts.
- Once you’ve decided to delete your accounts, the next step is to select the profile you want to delete and confirm it when prompted.
- Then close this menu and return to your dashboard.
- Now press and hold the Xbox button on your console until the console completely turns off and the LED stops flashing.
- Finally, turn on the console to complete the shutdown process.
- You should see an Xbox animation when the console is about to turn on.
Use the Xbox One in standalone mode
- Turn on the console and open the Guide menu by pressing the Xbox button on the controller.
- In the Guide menu, go to Settings -> System -> Settings -> Network to open the Network menu.
- Then click the Network Settings menu in the left pane.
- Select Go Offline, and then press the A Button to activate the offline mode.
- When prompted to confirm the action, click Yes.
- Restart your Xbox One console and the Your account has been locked 0x80a40014 Xbox error will disappear.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Go to Reset Password and enter your email address. Reset your password.
- Tell us where to send your security code (email or phone number).
- Once you receive the security code, you will be prompted to choose a new password and enter it twice.
An error occurs without warning and you feel like your Microsoft account has been locked for no reason. It may be blocked after several failed logins or because of a system error. The Your account has been locked 0x80a40014 Xbox error can also occur when Microsoft's TOS is broken.
- Enter your phone number to request a security code, which will be sent to you in a text message.
- After receiving the text message, enter the security code on the website.
- Change your password to complete the unlock process.
Your Microsoft account may be blocked if there are security problems or if you enter the wrong password too often. Microsoft will then send a unique security code to this number. Once you receive the code, enter it in the form on the website to unlock your account.