RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Your Chromecast allows you to mirror your entire desktop directly onto your TV at any time.
This feature is now integrated into Google Chrome, so unlike the early days of Chromecast, you no longer need the Google Cast extension for this. However, you still need to use Google Chrome. You cannot use any other browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
Cast a Chrome tab to your TV
You can use a Chromecast device to display a chrome tab or your screen on your TV.
You can display most web content. Some plug-ins, such as Silverlight, QuickTime and VLC, do not work.
To display chrome on your TV, you need a Chromecast device:
- A Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra or a TV with built-in Chromecast.
- A computer and a Wi-Fi network with the minimum system requirements.
- A current version of Google Chrome (version 72 or later).
- Update your Google Chrome browser if necessary.
- To connect your computer and Chromecast device to the same Wi-Fi network. Learn how to check the Wi-Fi network on your Chromecast device.
Cast a tab from Chrome:
- Open Chrome on your computer.
- Click More More in the upper right corner, and then click Cast.
- Select the Chromecast device on which you want to view the content.
- If you are already using the Chromecast device, your content will replace the content on your TV.
- When you are finished, click Cast on the right side of the address bar, then click Stop Casting.
What you will see in the Chromecast
- When your tab is displayed on a TV, you will see the Show Display option.
- To the right of the address bar, next to your extensions, you’ll see the Active cast extension.
- To use a shortcut in Chrome, add the Cast button.
Videos and Media
- Click Cast on the video or media you are watching.
- You see the video or images on your computer and TV, but you only hear the sound on your TV. The sound from the other tabs and applications will continue to play on your computer.
Cast Opera tab to your TV
- Click on the Opera icon in the upper left corner and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the User Interface section and check the Enable Chromecast support option.
- To launch a page, simply right-click on the currently open tab and select Launch from the menu.
- Select the target device and you are ready to go.
Cast Firefox tab to your TV
- Download the fx_cast extension. You may also need to download the Windows Bridge software from the same source.
- Choose the Next button for installation.
- Now click the Add button to add the extension.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.