RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Yes, the same camera that you use to take pictures of yourself, vacation photos and food photos can also be used as a productivity tool when working at home.
You can use your phone as a webcam in several ways. We’ll show you some techniques for setting up your smartphone or iPhone Android as a webcam, whether you have a Mac or PC. Best of all, many of these options are free.
To get started, you can simply download one of the best video chat applications directly to your phone. Zoom, Skype, Google Duo and Discord all have free mobile apps for Android and iOS devices.
But if you want to use your phone as a webcam for your computer, you’ll have to do things a little differently. You need to download an application on your phone that sends a signal over Wi-Fi to an application on your computer. This desktop application then tells the video conferencing service of your choice (Skype, Zoom, etc.) that your phone is a webcam.
Wireless Connection to the Router via IP Webcam
- Download the IP webcam from the Google Play Store.
- After installing the application, open the application and navigate to Connection Settings > Local Broadcast. You must ensure that your phone and computer are connected to the same network.
- Now click Login/Password. You must enter your login and password here. The login and password you enter here will be used on your PC when you log in. It is therefore best to keep it simple. Then click OK and return to the start screen.
- Now go to Service Control -> Start Server. Your phone will now stream its camera.
- Open on your desktop and navigate to this address: 192.168.0.100:8080
- Enter the login and password that you set up on your phone and click OK. You will now see the following screen.
- Click on Video Renderer > Flash
Connect your Android Phone to DroidCam via USB Cable
- As you are going to connect your PC to your Android smartphone, you will need a dedicated application/client on your PC and smartphone.
- To install the Windows DroidCam client, click on this link.
- Similarly, you will need to get the application on your phone.
- After both applications are installed, open the Windows client and click the Wi-Fi button at the top. You will see an option to enter the IP address of the device.
- Open the application on your phone and you will see all the relevant details.
- Copy the IP address to your PC and check the video and audio options. After logging in, you can preview the video on your PC.
- By default, the rear camera of the phone is selected.
- To switch to the front camera, tap the three-point menu in the phone application. Select Settings > Camera, and select Front from the list of options.
- In addition, you can also choose to change the FPS of the video clips to save battery power.
- On the Windows client, there are options to adjust the brightness, zoom, or rotation of the camera. However, all these functions are subject to a fee.
DroidCam is a bit more complicated, but the application has simple instructions to follow. When you start the PC client, you must enter the IP address and port number of the DroidCam as displayed in the application. Then simply select DroidCam as the source in your Skype or zoom window.
If you do not see the camera as an option, you will need to reboot your PC or check the numbers in the DroidCam application. And if you can’t see a video image in the window, make sure both devices are using the same Wi-Fi network.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.