RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
There are many Mac users who want to install the Windows operating system on their Mac computer to get the most out of both worlds. Now, with Boot Camp Assistant you can easily install Windows 10/8/7 on your Intel Mac. You have a dual boot system with your Mac OS on one partition and Windows on the other.
Install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp software
- Use your Safari browser to navigate to the Boot Camp Assistant download page on your Mac and download the program. Before downloading, check for updates. You can also download them if necessary.
- Open the’Finder’ window, select ‘Applications’ > ‘Utilities’ and double-click ‘Boot Camp Assistant’.
- Press ‘Next’ to start the installation process. By default, the software informs you of the installation of the latest drivers for Windows.
- The next step is to set the partition size for Windows. Windows 10/8/7 itself requires at least 16 GB of partition space and more applications; you must provide additional free space for the new operating system. Make a rough estimate and when you are satisfied with the diagram, press ‘Partition’. After this action, the hard disk partitioning is started. The process may take some time.
- When finished, you will see a new’BOOT CAMP’ icon on your Mac computer.
- Insert the Windows 7 DVD and click ‘Start Installation’.
- In a few seconds, your Mac computer restarts and starts on the Windows DVD. Here you will be invited with a window. You will be asked which partition you want to install Windows on. Select the labeled partitions ‘BOOTCAMP’ and simply click Disk Options.
- Then click ‘Format’ with the volume‘BOOTCAMP’ always selected.
- A warning is displayed with the following message ‘Files lost’, click ‘OK’. Soon Windows will start the installation. Be sure to remove the DVD from Windows as your system will reboot during installation. Your Mac will automatically restart under Windows and continue the installation until it is complete.
- Insert the OS X Lion DVD and start it by selecting RunSetup.exe.
- When the Boot Camp installer starts, click`Next’. Do the same after accepting the terms of the license agreement.
- Check box ‘Apple Software for Windows’ then click ‘Install’. Click ‘Finish’ once the driver installation is complete.
- Remove OS X DVD from drive and press ‘Yes’ to restart your Mac computer.
- Shortly after installing the software, you have the choice of running Windows or Mac OS X, as the installation turns your Mac computer into a dual boot system with Mac OS on one partition and Windows on another.
- All firmware updates installed on your Mac
- A Windows 7 installation DVD with a product ID (full version, no update)
- A Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Lion installation DVD
- A copy of the latest training camp.
Intel-based Mac computers can support both new installations and updates of the Boot Camp Wizard.
See this message if Boot Camp could not switch between Windows and Mac OS.
This article shows how to install Windows on Mac OS X with VMware Fusion.
For more information and help, visit Apple.com. Microsoft image source support.