RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
Ever wanted to stop seeing a particular contact’s Stories in the Facebook Messenger application or on the desktop? Our guide shows you how to mute Stories so that its content no longer appears at the top of the application. We’ll also show you how to mute a user’s story later, in case you change your mind.
You may like your friends and family, but that doesn’t mean you’ll always enjoy listening to them. While you can’t press Mute in real life, Facebook allows you to hide updates from certain people without completely deleting them from your friends list. If you’ve unsubscribed from a friend’s updates and changed your mind, you can remove them from your list of hidden friends and their messages will reappear in your message stream.
Mute Stories on Facebook for Web
Stories appear in the right column on the Facebook site. To mute Facebook stories from a specific account or page, a story from that account/page must be active. Click on the story you want to mute. As the story unfolds, you will see three dots in the upper right corner of the player. Click on them and select Mute from the menu.
A confirmation dialog box appears, asking you if you want to mute the stories on the page. You will continue to see messages and receive notifications from the page or profile after muting the stories on the page or profile.
To unmute, click the dotted button next to the stories on your home page. From the menu, select “Muted posts” and mute the sound from the list that appears.
To Mute Someone in Facebook Story
Follow these steps:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Open a story about the person you want to mute.
- Click on the three dotted buttons and select the “Mute” [Person Name] button.
- Confirm the change.
- To begin, you must first log into your Facebook account and open a story of the person you want to block or mute. In the story, you will find a three-dot button that appears next to the Play/Pause and Volume buttons. You need to expand the menu by clicking on this button and selecting the Mute [Person Name] option.
Instead of [Person’s Name], you will see the name of your friend or someone else. You can now click the “Mute” button in the pop-up window to confirm the change.
To Unmute Someone in Facebook Story
- Go to the Stories section at the top of your News Feed.
- Click on View All at the top right of the Stories section.
- Click Settings in the top right corner.
- Under Stories that you have muted, click Mute off next to the person, page or group name.
Remember that muting a person’s story is different from unfriending or unfollowing them. When you mute a person’s story, you stay friends with that person and you still see their messages in your News Feed.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.