RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
You are using Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013 and you receive the following error when sending and receiving: “Receive a reported error (0x80040600) : unknown error 0x80040600 (0x80040600)”.
The Outlook “0x80040600” error can occur in any version of Outlook and typically means that the Outlook archive file (commonly called “Outlook.pst”) has been damaged or corrupted due to power corruption, damaged hard disk or other unknown reasons. In this case, you must repair the Outlook PST file using the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe).
Because the Outlook 0x80040600 error is the result of a corrupted or corrupted Outlook PST file, the method to correct this error includes repairing the Outlook Data (PST) file. Let’s explain the methods in more detail in the following section:
Methods to avoid errors 0x80040600
- Perform a regular backup of PST files. This is necessary and useful when updating the version or recovering the file.
- When you suspect that the PST file is damaged first-hand, seek the possible remedy and avoid abruptly stopping the application as much as possible.
- Delete unnecessary emails and data transferred from PST files and folders to avoid problems with full memory limits.
- Check for updates to the antivirus program and use only authenticated software.
- Close your MS Outlook application, then any other application running, and avoid shutting down the system abruptly.
- Change the storage limits for PST files in versions that offer this feature, otherwise you should not exceed 2 GB.
Repair Outlook PST with the inbox repair tool
Incoming Mail Repair Tool or ScanPST.exe is a free tool from Microsoft for its users that helps to repair PST files. To do this, you must first find your PST files. To find it, you can follow the process below:
Step 01: Find PST files
- Start Microsoft Outlook
- Go to Tools.
- Click on Account Settings.
- Now click on the “Data Files” tab.
- Now copy or note the location of your PST files.
Step 02: Run the inbox repair tool / SCANPST.exe
- First close your MS Outlook.
- Open SCANPST.exe.
- Now enter the location of your PST files in the “Enter the name of the file you want to scan” field.
- And click on “Start”.
As soon as the repair process is completed, you can use your Outlook without error.
Now the biggest question is where is this SCANPST.exe or inbox repair tool located?
I know that most of us have no idea where this tool is located in our system. And it is very important to find them if we want to fix the Outlook 0x80040600 error.
Try restarting Outlook or the system. If restarting Outlook or your computer does not resolve the 0x80040600 error, follow these steps.
Step 1: Close the Outlook application while it is running.
Step 2: Go to the Start menu and type C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\OfficeX\scanpst.exe (replace X with your Outlook version) in the search field.
Step 3: Browse and select the corrupted Outlook PST file you want to scan. After selecting the file, click on the Start button.
Step 4: If an error has been found: Select Save scanned file before repair, specify a location to save the backup file, then click Repair.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance