RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
In this tutorial, you will learn how to remotely control the Windows 8 virtual machine. Most people have installed Windows with VirtualBox and VMware. Sometimes we need to transfer files from the virtual machine to the host system and vice versa. The best way to transfer files from one operating system to another is to establish a remote connection and copy and paste files.
Remote Windows Virtual Machine Control
Today we will see how to establish a remote desktop connection to control Windows 8 installed on VMware from the Windows 7 host system via a remote desktop connection. But the same procedure applies to Windows 10
We must change some settings before starting the connection.
Host system settings
- In Windows 7, go to Control Panel > System and Security > System First. Click Allow Remote Access
- Under Remote Support, the check box’Allow remote support connections to this computer’ should be checked.
- ‘Allow computer connections to any version of the Remote Desktop’ must be enabled
Windows Virtual Machine Settings
- In Windows 8, tap Control Panel.
- Go to Other settings at the end of the settings list. Here you will find the same Control Panel desktop interface.
- Repeat the same procedure as on Windows 7.
If you are using the VMware virtual machine, you will find VMware network adapters installed on both the host and the virtual system. To find it, press Window+R to open the Run command and type ncpa.cpl.
You will find VMware network adapters.
Assign both machines an appropriate and not identical IP address.
It is now time to start remote desktop connection
- Open remote desktop connection
- Enter Windows 8 IP address and click Connect
- Enter the credentials for connecting to Windows 8.
That’s it! Everything’s done!
If you now want to use Remote Desktop from Windows 8, it is advisable to perform a proper installation and the Remote Desktop connection can be established on a local network or other guest system, as it is a complex case to remotely control a host system from a virtual machine.
Let’s look at the steps.
- Make the above settings on both systems
- Press the Remote Desktop tile
- Enter the IP address of the target system
- Enter the identification information
You can now easily transfer files from one system to another and perform various actions with Remote Desktop.