Update: Stop getting error messages and slow down your system with our optimization tool. Get it now at this link
Even if Microsoft does its best to get Edge to work, the majority of users are very satisfied with what Chrome and Firefox have to offer. They should be able to select another browser and set it as the default browser for the Internet. However, some users reported that after several attempts, they were unable to set Firefox as the default browser in Windows 10.
Taking the easiest steps is a big task. But it can be fixed and we have provided the following steps. If you cannot make Firefox your default browser, follow the instructions we provide.
Using the default method
You can configure your Firefox browser as the default browser by following the steps below:
- Press the Windows+X key, then select Control Panel.
- Under Customize your computer settings, click on Default programs.
- Under Select Programs that Windows users use by default, click Set your programs by default.
- In the left pane, select Firefox, then click Set this program as default.
- Click on OK.
Reinstall the latest version of your web browser.
You may need to uninstall the latest version of Mozilla Firefox and download the latest version of the Firefox web browser from the official website.
Let it install normally and check if you can set it as the default browser or not.
Official Mozilla Guide
- Mozilla below illustrates all the steps to follow to reset or modify your default settings according to your choices.
- The first time you open Firefox, you will be asked if you want to make it your default browser. Click on the “Use Firefox as default browser” button.
- The Windows Settings application opens with the Select Default Applications screen. Scroll down and click on the entry under Web Browser. The web browser icon is “Microsoft Edge” or “Select your default browser”. It may not be intuitive, but you must click on the Microsoft Edge logo to open the window where you can select another default web browser.
- The Select Application screen opens. Click on Firefox in the list to set it as the default browser.
Firefox now appears as the default browser. Close the window to save your changes.
Uninstall any other conflicting web browsers.
You can also try to uninstall all conflicting web browser applications and then reinstall them.
Once you have uninstalled the application from the conflicting web browser, simply try to make Mozilla Firefox your default browser.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.