RECOMMENDED: Click here to fix Windows errors and optimize system performance
OBS Studio is a free open source software designed for professional video streaming. It supports Windows and MacOS, both. OBS Studio is very popular and is preferred by end players because of its features to optimize videos and refine the different modules.
One of the features of OBS Studio is the Display Capture. We received several reports from users who were unable to capture all aspects of their screen because the module was not working properly. In this article, we will examine all the possible causes of these problems, as well as the solutions used to solve them.
Run with administrator privileges
For some people, the registration of the OBS game displays a blank screen because there are no administrator rights. By default, this tool does not have administrator access, so some features may not work. For me, that was the problem and I solve it by following the steps below.
Step 1:- Right-click on the OBS Launcher icon. It will probably be on the desktop itself.
Step 2:- Select Properties.
Step 3:- There are several menus in the properties. You must click on the compatibility menu.
Step 4:- There you will see the option “Run this program as administrator”. Make sure you have this field (✓) and press OK.
Customize the video card with OBS.
Modern laptops are usually equipped with two GPUs (Graphic Processing Units) for better performance and energy savings. One is an integrated GPU that comes with the CPU (Central Processing Unit), and the other is a discrete GPU (alias standalone card, dedicated card). The two leading manufacturers of discrete GPUs are NVIDIA and AMD. Typically, the system runs energy-saving applications such as a browser on the integrated GPU, while energy-intensive applications such as games run on the integrated GPU to achieve better performance and save energy.
Therefore, it is very likely that OBS will run the low performance GPU while the application you are trying to record is running on the high performance GPU. Different GPUs give a black screen and we need to make sure that the OBS and the application you are recording use the same GPU. Normally, we adjust the OBS GPU to the powerful GPU, because you cannot support running OBS and the application at the same time with low performance.
Configure your system for Display Capture.
If Display Capture does not work, you may need to configure OBS to work on the built-in graphics processor.
Screenshot for NVIDIA-based notebooks
- Close the OBS when it is open.
- Access the NVIDIA Control Panel by right-clicking on your desktop and then clicking on “NVIDIA Control Panel”.
- Click on “Manage 3D settings” if they are not already selected.
- In the Program Settings tab, click on the “Add” button under the label “Select a program to customize:”.
- Navigate to the.exe path for OBS and add it to the list.
- The default paths are: C:\Program files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe and C:\Program files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs32.exe)
- Make sure it is selected from the drop-down list.
- Then, under “Select the preferred GPU for this program”, open the drop-down menu and select “Integrated Graphics” from the list.
- Save and apply, then open OBS and reactivate Display Capture.
RECOMMENDED: Click here to troubleshoot Windows errors and optimize system performance
CCNA, Web Developer, PC Troubleshooter
I am a computer enthusiast and a practicing IT Professional. I have years of experience behind me in computer programming, hardware troubleshooting and repair. I specialise in Web Development and Database Design. I also have a CCNA certification for Network Design and Troubleshooting.