Your Sticky Notes may not load if the installation of the Sticky Notes app is corrupted. In addition, competing applications (such as OneNote) may also cause the aforementioned error.
Users encounter this problem (usually after upgrading their operating system or application) when they try to start Sticky Notes and it freezes on startup (or the screen turns gray/closes) and they have to close it via the Task Manager.
Before you get to the solutions to fix Sticky Notes in Windows 10, be sure to close the Sticky Notes app through Task Manager and back it up to keep your notes safe.
What Causes Sticky Notes Stuck on `Loading`
Your notes may not load if your Sticky Notes installation is corrupted. In addition, competing applications (such as OneNote) can also cause errors.
Users encounter a problem (usually after an operating system or application update) when trying to start Sticky Notes, but the application hangs on startup (or on a gray/dark screen) and closes via the Task Manager.
How to fix Sticky Notes hanging when `Loading`
Launch the Windows Store app troubleshooter
If apps aren’t working properly, the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter in Windows 10 can help. And it may be able to help solve Sticky Notes’ downloading problem. The troubleshooter checks for problems that are preventing apps from working properly and then suggest solutions.
Here are the steps:
- Press the Win+I key combination to open the Windows 10 Settings app.
- Open the Update and Security category
- Open the troubleshooting page
- Use the Advanced Troubleshooting option in the right pane.
- Scroll down the page
- Navigate to the Windows Store Apps option
- Use the Run Troubleshooter option.
- The diagnostic process will start and you will get solutions (if any).
Resetting sticky notes
If the app isn’t working properly, a reset can help users get it back up and running. This can work to resolve a Sticky Notes download problem. Although all the data in the Sticky Notes app will be deleted, you don’t have to worry. All of your notes will be back as soon as you log in with the same Sticky Notes app account. Do the following:
- Press Win+I to open Settings.
- Open the Apps category.
- Scroll to the Apps and Features page in the right pane.
- Click on the Sticky Notes app.
- Tap More Options.
- Scroll down the page
- Click Reset
- Confirm your action by tapping Reset again.
Using the Notes List Option
This solution was shared by a member of the Sticky Notes team, and it has helped many users. Here’s how to do it:
- Right-click on the Sticky Notes icon visible in the taskbar.
- Click on the “Notes List” option.
- This will load the Sticky Notes list and give you access to all of your saved notes.
Using the Sticky Notes Web Portal
If the Sticky Notes desktop app still won’t open and you desperately need access to your notes, you can use the Sticky Notes web portal.
Because Sticky Notes uses a Microsoft account, all of your notes will sync with that account and be stored there. So, as soon as you open the Sticky Notes web portal and log in with the same Microsoft account that you use for the desktop application, you’ll see that all of your notes are visible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Windows key+R -> Paste with CTRL+V and Enter. Windows key+i -> Applications -> Tap Sticky Notes -> Advanced -> Repair. If the repair doesn't work, reboot your device.
When you pull them up or to the side, the notes bend and they don't stick well to flat surfaces. Instead, remove them by slightly lifting the center of the bottom edge and pulling it toward you in a straight motion away from the sticky edge.
- Find Sticky Notes, click on it and select Advanced Settings.
- Click the Reset button and start the app again.
- Go to Windows 10 PC "Settings" > "System" > left "Applications and Features".
- Find your "Sticky Notes" app and click on "Advanced Options".
- In the pop-up window, click "Reset".